Discuss New light fitting buzzing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys I’m new to the forum, I’ve tried to find an answer to my issue but so far no real luck.

I have a new light fitting it’s a 5 light fitting with G4 lamps. It says on it “G4 5x max 20W halogen”

It’s got a transformer with an output of 11.5 Vac max:105W eff: 8.75A

I have fitted 5x 2.2W 12V LED lamps and the transformer is buzzing.

It’s not on a dimmer and the buzzing is definitely coming from the transformer.

Has anyone got any ideas why it’s buzzing? Do I have to relent and buy some halogens instead of my LEDS? I hope not as they cost me £28 and I have no other lights that take G4’s!

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

In fact it also just lowered the pitch of its buzzing and dimmed all the lamps to around half brightness. If I remove a lamp and turn it off then back on they come back full brightness.

My guess it that it just can’t handle all the LEDs?

Last sentence in your second post :handok:

Most electronic transformers like to work within a minimum and maximum range... These will be way under the minimum i expect by the sounds of it
Agree, or the TX isn't fixed very well within the fitting itself, causing the 50HZ buzz.

https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=d3vVCNwg-OdkEg7XE4j6-f3DVUCUw_u3GQojqir6gC7EWFATi9T3fXklYIAcb4wvALAaFbftTnpGPMfuABTvLnCT1D7_0gdQGwAkjGoq5j4fkKonK9lY0MsZreZvZvbFOva-R-iyGzdeS38MeC_eTh9i7KVIZa3NCOhd3q2JaQyJk9i0JX&u=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click?lid=92700031521275171&ds_s_kwgid=58700003915321210&ds_e_adid=80539261953840&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000002416018&ds_e_product_group_id=4584138855262299&ds_e_product_id=1482P&ds_e_product_country=GB&ds_e_product_language=EN&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_url_v=2&ds_dest_url=https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/philips-g4-capsule-led-light-bulb-105lm-1-2w-12v/1482P?kpid=1482P&ds_kid=[*TrackerID*]&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX%20%7C%20Shopping%20%7C%20Electrical%20%26%20Lighting&utm_term=4584138855262299&utm_content=G%20-%20Light%20Bulbs%20%26%20Tubes&rlid=5be934097ed3174beb166ff4237c170c
and here was i thinking that OP had got you trapped in his light.

It’s annoying but the light didn’t come with any lamps, so I can’t even test it with anything different without buying more.

It’s funny because originally (by mistake) I bought a pack of 4 and it’s been working fine apart from the occasional random quiet buzzing. It comes and goes, sometimes for a couple of seconds other times for a few minutes.

But today I bought another pack of four (I bought a single one from eBay but it was a waste of money) and when I put the fourth in hey presto constant louder buzzing then the dimming also after some time.

So if anything to me it sounds like too much load, but can’t see why.

I might try having one halogen, at least that way it will keep the overall wattage down still

So if anything to me it sounds like too much load, but can’t see why.
It sounds like too little load. As mentioned above. See #3.. Didn’t you read the responses?
The old halogen transformers need a minimum load for them to work properly.
Your LEDs are only an 11W load. I expect the minimum for that xfrmr will be at least 20watts.
You need to change the tranny for a Led-compatible power supply.

This could be an option, although what makes this one more suitable than the OEM one?

Because the one in the link has no minimum load.

You need a 12V Led driver to power Led lamps not the 12V AC power supply you currently have.

Ive tried to use a led driver on gu5.3s before and it didnt work, guessing as it was d.c and those and these g4s are designed for a.c. the varilight one in the link will fit the bill

It sounds like too little load. As mentioned above. See #3.. Didn’t you read the responses?
The old halogen transformers need a minimum load for them to work properly.
Your LEDs are only an 11W load. I expect the minimum for that xfrmr will be at least 20watts.
You need to change the tranny for a Led-compatible power supply.

Didn’t you read MY response? Particularly the part about it working fine with 4 LEDs but when the 5th one is added it goes wrong? (I said it went wrong with the fourth one in the previous post but I meant 5th)

Surely if it’s too little load it would be worse or at least the same with 4 than with five not vise versa?

Also when I sat having me tea earlier it turned itself off 3 times, had to off and on the light switch!

I’ll try adding in a halogen and of that doesn’t work I’ll look at changing the transformer. Although with it being brand new I’m not that keen on invalidating the warranty. But if needs be.

Reply to New light fitting buzzing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net