Discuss New Member/Career Advice/HNC HND Electrical Engineering/ URGENT HELP!! in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

CMac92

-
Reaction score
Hello all

First up I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here. I've used this website for many problems since I first started in the electrical trade and its been a great help

Just a little info about me so you can understand more about what I'm trying to accomplish

Over the past 5 years since my first day as an apprentice, I've managed to complete a list of several courses which follow;

- C & G 2330 level 3
- C & G 2356 NVQ level 3
- AM2
- C & G 2394 level 3
- C & G 2395 level 3
- CITB SSSTS

Most of this time has been spent self-employed and sub-contracting out, working on large fit out jobs, installation different lighting systems, and other jobs that your typical house basher won't come across. I've managed to secure a job with a local small company which is looking to expand as much as possible. I've been with them nearly a year now and theres been talks of setting up another department and opportunities for myself and the other key members on the team to progress. Problem that I can't shake that is say in a few years time with this company I will have an important role and hopefully a decent wage pack, my skillset is more than likely not going to increase in terms of qualifications which feels like if in 5-6 years time I was managing a different sector of the company and was at a managers level, if I was to lose my job for whatever reason then I would still be a 'Qualified Electrician' and nothing more. I've been looking into doing a HNC/HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and although I'm willing to fund this myself, I was thinking of about approaching my boss and seeing if he would be interested in 'sponsoring' me in doing this for a few reasons;

- i would be granted the time for studying (day release)
- i want to stay and progress with this company
- i feel this could bring a new set of skills within the company helping towards progression
- and last but not least I will still be EMPLOYED

I would be more than happy to continue on the tools even after completing a HNC/HND and I will be sure my boss is sure on this, because I will feel more secure knowing that if I was forced to start with a new company then I would have something that could get me into a good wage bracket.

I want to be able to design or begin to design UPS systems, lighting and electrical systems on a larger scale (4 floor office building for example), building management systems, basically everything that a typical local 'sparky' company couldn't offer and produce professional drawings using software like AutoCAD

Problem is I can find any details of how having some with a HNC/HND in Electrical and Electronics could help an installation company. Various websites list the modules that you cover by doing an HNC/HND but I'm still stuck. I want to be able to approach my boss with a plan that helps us both rather than just myself which is what it looks like.

I know this is a bit of an essay to get through but any replies would be greatly appreciated as it's playing on my mind and its not a typical question you can ask just any one. Has anyone who has completed a HNC/HND worked with a company that offers these services and if so did doing a HNC/HND help in them areas. OR Any employeers who believe or know that someone completing a HNC/HND would help progress a company and in what areas.

Thanks

Hello, CMac9 grantr37 here, typed out a response but bt booted me off so I had to log back in, now its updating and being very slow...

I'll get you your HNC and keep you right about how and where you can expect to use it :)

Cheers :D

Have a great day

Hi grantr37
How and where can I be expected to use my knowledge gained from completing an HNC, in time I will tell but I just need some advice on what direction to head in

Reply to New Member/Career Advice/HNC HND Electrical Engineering/ URGENT HELP!! in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net