• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rikhil

-
Reaction score
hi all,

My name is Rikhil and I live in canary wharf. I recently had a new kitchen installed and as part of the job I agreed with builder to get an electrician to install a new s17 fusebox and a new circuit for the kitchen. I also agreed with him to get the work done in compliance with all regulations and provide me certificates etc.

He got some guy to install the fusebox and circuit but when I ask him for the certificate says that guy is qualified electrician but not able to sign off as that requies another certification. He has gotten some other electrician to send a certificate of installation but the certificate says the work was an alteration only and details of the installation section says 'fixed wiring and testing of commission only'. Now he is asking me for the balance of the money for the job.

I think my builder is trying to fool me because the job he has done was a notifiable job and I don't think the council has NOat been notified because the guy he sent wasn't registered. Can someone please advise what I need to do here to make sure I am not in breach of regulations and is there any forum to complain about this builder ? He charged me 1000 pounds for this work which took the guy who came to do it about 2 hours !! And now I don't even have assurance it was done in a compliant manner.pleawe help !!

Thanks very much
Regards
Rikhil

contact your local council building control and they can tell you if its been notified in accordance with the regulations.
If it has not been notified with-hold any outstanding money and use it to have it checked and notified by building control in the council.
However, you could also have the option of small claims procedure to recover any extra costs from him not notifying the work properly.

You are correct that work requires building approval. What is this certificate called? Maybe a pic with names / address etc blanked out? I wonder what has actually been done - 2hrs to put in a new circuit, change out a consumer unit, test and certify ... hmm.

Hi, I have paid him 800 so far as he said he would get the certs. But the certificate seems to be from another guy who didn't come for the job and the details of work doesn't say anything about the new fusebox or new circuit for oven in the kitchen. So I am not sure it's compliant as the certificate should say what's been done I thought.

Photo of first page attached. What does it look like?

Thanks again. Really appreciate your time.

New member desperately looking for advice 0E1FF76B-B168-4CBC-A74B-9D080A646685 - EletriciansForums.net

I think good electricians certainly out way the bad ones & unfortuantly you have had the displeasure of meeting a bad one.

I would grab him by the throat when he returned.

I recently had a new kitchen installed and as part of the job I agreed with builder to get an electrician to install a new s17 fusebox and a new circuit for the kitchen. I also agreed with him to get the work done in compliance with all regulations and provide me certificates etc.

I presume that you got a quote for this work from the builder, stating the cost of £1000? If not then how did you know how much you would be paying?

Yes I got a quote from him before he started the job. Now I am less worried about the money, more that the installation that's been done may not be proper and compliant, and I maybe responsible for making sure that it is. What do I need to do to be sure I have myself covered from regulations perspective? Thanks.

I see he is using NICEIC paperwork, is the Electrician registered with them? you may like to check I believe it's quite an easy process.

Yes I got a quote from him before he started the job.

So what does it say on the quote regarding the electrical work?
Post a pic of that bit.
If the description for the work on the quote doesn't match the description on the cert then tell tell the electrician.

the certificate has the 'testers' name on the bottom of the schedule above and the first image still has a logo visible. so might pay to be a bit careful here given possibility of the Op maybe taking civil claims action etc...

I did check though and the company is registered as both a AC and DI with NICEIC.

Which makes you wonder as even if the results were made up on the certificate, when entering them on the NIC online portal he only had to click a button to notify and then generate the notification cert which he could print or email the OP.....

Last edited:
I do no have doubt on the authenticity of the certificate but question on whether the details of work outlined on page 1 cover the installation of new fusebox and kitchen circuit. The circuit has been issued by a different guy than the one who came to my property and seems to me that this has been designed as testing of some sort but not above installation. These are notifiable so which part of the form has actually notified the council in this case? Thx

Reply to New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back