Discuss New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Getting another electrician to sign the work of is called Third Party Certification. In order for that to be valid, the signing off electrician has to be registered as a Third Party Certifier, but more importantly has to have been inspecting the job during and after completion of the works otherwise he cannot sign them off. Not only is he liable for a hefty fine but so are you if this has not been done correctly!

To be honest,none of the above matters,as we have not seen a written quote for the extent and cost of the electrical work.
If the work is safe,and does not step on any leasehold,contract or permission issues,it is only an argument between what can be proved,to be agreed,and what was actually done.

A verbal assurance from a builder is worth 3 Shekels.

Getting another electrician to sign the work of is called Third Party Certification. In order for that to be valid, the signing off electrician has to be registered as a Third Party Certifier, but more importantly has to have been inspecting the job during and after completion of the works otherwise he cannot sign them off. Not only is he liable for a hefty fine but so are you if this has not been done correctly!

Really? I would be interested to know of one name of a householder,who received a fine for such a matter...

as we have not seen a written quote for the extent and cost of the electrical work

I did ask the OP to post up that bit of the quote in post #17.

The quote was for the following:

1. Run new oven supply from distribution board to kitchen.
2. Install new 17th addition distribution board.
3. Inspect property for any faults.

In London, with builders margin and VAT I can see how that could easily get to £1000

Then this should be the description for the work carried out on the cert.

Apologies if I'm wrong (being the other side of Hadrian's wall) but didn't the NICEIC opt out of allowing 3rd party certification in England?

I agree with Murdoch on cost £1000 in central London isn't necessarily unreasonable and in any case its a free market to price a job at whatever you want and then it's upto the customer to say yes or no, surely?

As a follow up to this, assuming my builder is not going to be able to or willing to help provide a proper verification and certificate for the jobs done at my property, can I get another niceic registered electician to verify and certify the job? How much would that cost? Anyone here willing to quote me for this? I live in canary wharf area. Thanks

Ring the NICEIC and ask if they allow 3rd party certification like this. If not one of the other Schemes will allow it but someone England based will have to comment for you.

BTW if the NICEIC dont allow this and IF the NICEIC contractor has done something they shouldn't (I'm not saying they have) you should report them to NICEIC. Perhaps ask the NICEIC when/if you call them?

In danger of getting my head chewed off for this one.

What is the difference between what has been done here and a QS signing off work and only testing and or inspecting a sample?

I don't like the idea of 3rd party sign off at all but IF these guys have a good working relationship, the 3rd party has seen photographs and trusts the installers testing and workmanship then perhaps it's not all bad.

It's not something I would be involved in but I imagine it's more common than we would like.

In danger of getting my head chewed off for this one.

What is the difference between what has been done here and a QS signing off work and only testing and or inspecting a sample?

I don't like the idea of 3rd party sign off at all but IF these guys have a good working relationship, the 3rd party has seen photographs and trusts the installers testing and workmanship then perhaps it's not all bad.

It's not something I would be involved in but I imagine it's more common than we would like.

For a QS to be able to sign off work done by others, he has to have inspected, during and after the work, to advise and ensure the work is being done to the appropriate standards. His role isn't just to test or inspect a sample.

Where I am in England, before TPC came into force, our LABC would accept a satisfactory EICR being carried out of 100% of the installation in lieu of certification. I don't know whether they still would now or whether the OPs LABC would, might be worth asking them.

Ring the NICEIC and ask if they allow 3rd party certification like this. If not one of the other Schemes will allow it but someone England based will have to comment for you.

BTW if the NICEIC dont allow this and IF the NICEIC contractor has done something they shouldn't (I'm not saying they have) you should report them to NICEIC. Perhaps ask the NICEIC when/if you call them?

I don't see how any scheme would accept this under TPC as a QS didn't see what was being done and how, during the installation.

Plus for those doing 3rd party testing does their insurance company cover it. Often insurance companies only allow you to test your own jobs for periodic inspections too. So always ask your insurance company better safe than sorry.

Hi, I have paid him 800 so far as he said he would get the certs. But the certificate seems to be from another guy who didn't come for the job and the details of work doesn't say anything about the new fusebox or new circuit for oven in the kitchen. So I am not sure it's compliant as the certificate should say what's been done I thought.

Photo of first page attached. What does it look like?

Thanks again. Really appreciate your time.

View attachment 43066
Niceic electricians are not allowed to certify someone else's work. Stroma & Nappit registered electricians are the only electricians who are allowed to do it.

As a follow up to this, assuming my builder is not going to be able to or willing to help provide a proper verification and certificate for the jobs done at my property, can I get another niceic registered electician to verify and certify the job? How much would that cost? Anyone here willing to quote me for this? I live in canary wharf area. Thanks
You shouldn't have to.

Reply to New member desperately looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net