Discuss New Member needs help with power to loft in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone new member here looking for advice.

Im looking at putting sockets in my loft. I see the question has been asked many times but I cannot see any questions relating to my issue.

I have a hive multizone and the electrical supply to operate the valves for upstairs and downstairs is in a cupboard upstairs. Can I take a feed from this electrical supply feeding the valves upto the loft?

I have attached a picture of the valves and electrical supply.

Thanks for your help

Ian

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you saying you want to tap into the Hive circuit to power sockets that you are adding in the loft?

sorry guys new to this but my photo isn't showing even though it says picture uploaded!! any advice?

Thanks

Try to 'Copy/Paste' the images into the posts. That might work better.

If you are a qualified Electrician you should know if the cable you are considering extending can handle the load of the Hive and whatever you intend to plug into the sockets in the loft connected to it yes? there is your answer.

No I'm not a qualified electrician but thanks for your response. I should have made myself clearer. I'm not tapping into the hive I would be tapping into the supply feeding the central heating vales. I've read questions regarding taking cable from an existing socket but noticed the power supply feeding the valves for the central heating. I hoped this would be easier but maybe not. Id upload a picture but I've tried 4 times and it won't upload!!

No I'm not a qualified electrician but thanks for your response. I should have made myself clearer. I'm not tapping into the hive I would be tapping into the supply feeding the central heating vales. I've read questions regarding taking cable from an existing socket but noticed the power supply feeding the valves for the central heating. I hoped this would be easier but maybe not. Id upload a picture but I've tried 4 times and it won't upload!!

Well I won't help then, but good luck and hopefully someone will steer you across to the DIY area.

thanks handyspark. There is a 230v box feeding the valves. If I could upload a picture you could see. its driving me nuts. as MDJ said ill try the DIY section
upload_2018-4-18_19-38-50.png

Rather than using the Hive supply, is there an immersion switch with a permanent supply? (rather than one that goes through an E7 controller or anything)
When I changed my heating system to a combi boiler, we had no need for the hot tank, no need for the immersion - which was only there as a backup.
Jointed the cable in an accessible space, ran the extended cable up through the cupboard and into the attic to a double socket.
Light is off a plugtop, aerial booster in other.

I have seen other attics where the booster is supplied from a socket wired into the lighting circuit.

I have seen other attics where the booster is supplied from a socket wired into the lighting circuit.
May be OK just for a booster. But the OP seems to want to create a whole suite of stuff up there.
sockets was just for Ariel booster, cctv etc.
Separate circuit, or fused spur from a ring final. Obviously the wiring centre in the picture is not suitable. It will be powered from the boiler supply fuse!

Reply to New Member needs help with power to loft in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net