Discuss New member, seeking a change! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lewisyounger

Hi all,

I'm Lewis, a recently qualified turner who works on industrial valves. I also recently coded in a carbon steel pipe procedure for tig welding. Electrics has always been something I was eager to get into, I was an electrical systems engineering apprentice before I was made redundant, needing a job led me to where I am. Trouble is the pay is not really ideal compared to even labouring of all things.

I have a few questions if I may:

I have a level 2 city and guilds in electrical installation already. Is the level 3 worth doing in my evenings or would it be redundant?

I also have a level 3 BTEC in electrical engineering that I gained before I was made redundant, I was made redundant because they were ha I g a shuffle and the whole maintenance department was being disbanded and I wasn't willing to go into the production side of the company. I never got a chance to try it. I was the odd job boy who made up sensors and installed motors etc. They never assigned me one person to work with, and I asked and got nowhere.

I'm not sure what to do, I'm 23 with no house so I have the chance to make a change but I'm not sure what into, electrician route or the electrical engineering route. Just need some advice I know id need to probably do another apprenticeship but I don't want to be earning little money for a considerable amount of time.

Sorry for the essay!

-Lewis

level 3 followed by am2 and nvq3 is the way forward. do level 3 evenings at local college, while working as normal and try and get some part time practical experience with a local contractor at the same time.

Level 2 in electrical installation, would class you as a qualified Electrician.
The AM2 would prove your practical skills, but neither the AM2 or the NVQ3 would to my mind do anything to increase your skills or knowledge.
The JIB have a process for people without the AM2 or NVQ3 to obtain a JIB card, which might be better for you than trying to find a course for the AM2/NVQ3.
I think it's called something like: Mature Candidate Assessment.
You will I believe require either the 17th or 18th edition qualifications.

Reply to New member, seeking a change! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock