Discuss New member in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Oliver Guest

Good evening all,

Just joined the forums with the hope of receiving some advice as to how I should go about getting that first job.

I am currently two weeks away from completing my Domestic Installer course having recently left the RAF and am starting to now think about how I will go about getting my first job, having no experience. I would like to gain experience in the trade before I go about setting up on my own. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Oli

Welcome along Oli, and good luck, where were you stationed?

Thanks, and yes this seems to be the issue haha. It's getting that initial job that will be hard I think.

Thank you, I was at Benson and before that Brize Norton.

Oli
Me I was RAF Colerne and RAF Troodos Cyprus not in the RAF though PSA.

Hey Ollie, doesn't suit everyone but getting an electricians mate job for a year or two will give you all you need to then begin at the bottom from below the bottom. Experience is key No two ways about it. All the best.

Hi oli, you've come to the right place lots of knowledgeable guys and girls on here.
I agree with going for the electricians mate or improver role to get you foot in the door then show them what your capable of and learn from them, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

As for going on your own don't forget it completely but definitely put it to the back burner for a few years Soak up knowledge and experience from working alongside others. There are things you just can't learn at college. Good luck and get out there.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, working alongside others is exactly what I need to do. I'll have the certificiates but on the job training is definitely the way to go, I guess I just need to find someone to take me on as a learner.

Oli

I am finding that a lot of domestic electrician roles, both agency work and improver/mate jobs are listed as experience required.

Does anyone here have any advice they can give me on how I should go about getting that all important first job without experience?

I have the qualifications but don't feel anywhere near ready to go out there and do it on my own.

If you don't already, put in for the ECS card and the health and safety requirement. That'll get you onto site and into companies. Do the ECS thing sooner than later as it takes a while for them to process it all.
Still try to get a job alongside a working spark, you can't buy that experience.

Reply to New member in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock