Discuss New multifunction tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hi guys
I'm looking at buying a new multifunction tester ideally the megger 1720 but don't really want to spend the cost for brand new so looking at maybe a second hand one off eBay. I have seen one for £330 with a years calibration not sure if that's reasonable or not,have any of you had good or bad experiences of going down this route

Thanks

O bought a second hand Metrel tester to start off with and I have had no problems, my mate bought a second hand fluke and it has been nothing but a pain in the neck, he has just had to buy a new one, I think it is a game of pot luck when you buy second hand. The calibration means that it was within tolerance at the time when it was tested only.

The calibration means that it was within tolerance at the time when it was tested only.
But that's all a £60 "Calibration" ever is, regardless of the age of the tester.
If it helps any Sb8389, I'm using a 6 year old 1720 without any calibration issues. - Saying that it does need some straightforward "maintenance" of it's internal test-lead connectors from time to time, and like many older testers, it's well understood that the low current Zs with RCD's in circuit can need some care, but I can live with those. I'm no Megger die-hard, so that's not a defence of a slightly flawed old instrument, just practical observation.

Nowt wrong with the 1720,but as mentioned,the roughest meter in the world,could possess a current calibration cert...a la MOT's.

I would rather get a mint one,with no cert,but ebay is a hard task-master,for getting a prior peep :)

If you are going second Hang try and make sure its a genuine source.

Just be careful most second hand tools on E bay are most likely stolen tools from a Van..... and that is a very emotive subject on this site.

Megger is my favourite, I got the Fluke 1653b last year as a replacement for my stolen megger, big regret... it struggles on the resistance readings, :(

Reply to New multifunction tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net