Discuss new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I knew you would say that. And a typical comment from a not very intelligent electrician. The building regs (which is law) state that all electrical work must comply with BS7671 so if you do choose to ignore BS7671 then you would be in breach of the building regs.

Also any court within the UK would use the BS7671 document as a bench mark for installation standards just as they use the Highway Code for traffic offences even though that document is also not law as you put it.

With advice like yours who needs Domestic Installers?

More be all and end all..........from a know it all who doesn't half get excited by it all......very intelligent, insulting someone else's.

Stratford Olympic site, designed and installed to the 16th edition.
Temporary power and lighting for the Olympic site, designed and installed to the 17th edition.
Conversion of atheletes' accommodation to flats and apartments, designed and installed to the 16th edition, completed in April 2014.

So we have resorted to name calling have we? I thought maybe we could have a mature conversation, obviously not.

I am not calling you anything. To just hear such a silly thing like "we can ignore the regs if we want because they are not law" is so irresponsible. Some people on here are looking for a little help and guidance not some idiotic comment (which that was) to be posted on here. It seems to me there are to many 'mates' on here patting one another on the back because they will not open their mind to other people ideas and perceptions.

I knew you would say that. And a typical comment from a not very intelligent electrician. The building regs (which is law) state that all electrical work must comply with BS7671 so if you do choose to ignore BS7671 then you would be in breach of the building regs.

Also any court within the UK would use the BS7671 document as a bench mark for installation standards just as they use the Highway Code for traffic offences even though that document is also not law as you put it.

With advice like yours who needs Domestic Installers?

Sorry but the Building Regulations, only indicate that compliance with BS7671 is a method of satisfying the requirements.

Stratford Olympic site, designed and installed to the 16th edition.
Temporary power and lighting for the Olympic site, designed and installed to the 17th edition.
Conversion of atheletes' accommodation to flats and apartments, designed and installed to the 16th edition, completed in April 2014.

I have no evidence to believe you or disbelieve you I can only read what the guidelines say about this amendment which is that after the 1st July ALL INSTALLATIONS must be installed to amendment 3.

Maybe before you start calling people names and try and justify your reasonsing with futher derogatory comments you get your own facts straight first. The only LAW covering electrical installations in the uk is the Electricity at Work Regulation 1989

Maybe before you start calling people names and try and justify your reasonsing with futher derogatory comments you get your own facts straight first. The only LAW covering electrical installations in the uk is the Electricity at Work Regulation 1989

Some do tend to jump in with both feet, dont they ?

ok you choose not to follow BS7671 and you hurt someone and see if you get prosecuted. this was week 1 in my apprenticeship. I really cannot believe I am hearing this!

So thats now twice today you have read something I Have posted and interpreted it completly wrong, unless I am wrong then can you please post up any posts where I have said that please?

See you in the Foresters sometime in the new year?

if i'm ever in high speed pursuit of robin hood, i'll let you know and meet in the foresters.
ah i see now why tony likes it in there

from google

New Foresters
www.newforesters.com/
Welcome to the New Foresters web site. The oldest traditional Gay Bar. Heated Beer Garden, 6 Heater ... Join our Facebook Page. New Foresters Nottingham ...

Please answer me:

1) are building regs law?
2) do the refer to BS7671 as the installation standard to be followed?
My answer to both these questions is yes so if you fail to install to BS7671 you are breaking the law.

The Building Act 1984 is the primary legislation under which the Building Regulations and other secondary legislation are made.

so it is law.

july actually, the regs is just released in jan
That may be open to interpretation that one Shanky, that is the transition period. I wouldn't design in the transition to old regs and then install beyond that 6 months as I could just as easily design to new regs.
Implementation Dates:
1st January 2015 - The Third amendment to BS 7671:2008, The IET Wiring Regulations, became effective on this date. Following this, contractors have a six month transition period to get up to speed with the changes and can design, install and certify to either the new or previous standard.

So thats now twice today you have read something I Have posted and interpreted it completly wrong, unless I am wrong then can you please post up any posts where I have said that please?

You said clearly earlier that you can choose to not follow BS7671 and you cannot be prosecuted for it. You actually said that. I said you were wrong and irresponsible to say that and only an idiot of an electrician would say something like that.

I have no evidence to believe you or disbelieve you I can only read what the guidelines say about this amendment which is that after the 1st July ALL INSTALLATIONS must be installed to amendment 3.
I know that there have been many concerns regarding this particular issue, particularly due to the Olympic Site.
It may well be that from this amendment things will be changed so that if construction begins after an amendment or new edition comes into force, then the installation must comply with the new requirements?
However as it stands, the requirements are neither retrospective, or applicable before they are produced and issued.

Reply to new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net