Discuss new reqs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You said clearly earlier that you can choose to not follow BS7671 and you cannot be prosecuted for it. You actually said that. I said you were wrong and irresponsible to say that and only an idiot of an electrician would say something like that.

Please quote that actual post please.

That may be open to interpretation that one Shanky, that is the transition period. I wouldn't design in the transition to old regs and then install beyond that 6 months as I could just as easily design to new regs.
Implementation Dates:
1st January 2015 - The Third amendment to BS 7671:2008, The IET Wiring Regulations, became effective on this date. Following this, contractors have a six month transition period to get up to speed with the changes and can design, install and certify to either the new or previous standard.

that is exactly my point.

new reqs {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Originally Posted by UKESRail new reqs {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
What do you mean why not? Because we are told to.Because the law states we follow BS7671 and that is what we are here to do. If it was me I would start talking with my clients and advising them of their options. Ultimately after the 1st July you cannot work to an old version of the regs. We all have 6 months to sort this out so therebis no excuse. I really was expecting better than this on here.

What law would that be then?

You do realise that BS7671 is only a guide and not a statute document, meaning we can choose to ignore it completly if we wish?

You said it was not law so therefor that woukd mean that you thought you could not be prosecuted maybe you should ba a little clearer because you are now trying to get out of this by a technicality. Accept you were wrong and move on.

that is exactly my point.

I am only referring to the 6 month transition period as we would then have the opportunity to design to new regs so we might aswell. I am not referring to designs from before January 2015, they would still stand. That is how is it is at the moment but, as another member has said, it may change in the future.

You said it was not law so therefor that woukd mean that you thought you could not be prosecuted maybe you should ba a little clearer because you are now trying to get out of this by a technicality. Accept you were wrong and move on.
Please get a grip.
You can be prosecuted for a number of things, but failing to comply with the requirements of BS7671 is not (as yet) one of them.

You can be prosecuted with failing to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations.
However the Building Regulations only indicate that satisfying the requirements of BS7671 is one method of compliance.

Please answer me:

1) are building regs law?
2) do the refer to BS7671 as the installation standard to be followed?
My answer to both these questions is yes so if you fail to install to BS7671 you are breaking the law.

Does BS7671 allow deviations from its own rules to be made by skilled persons designing installations?

Funnily enough yes it does, so you can deviate from bs7671 and still comply with it!

Does BS7671 allow deviations from its own rules to be made by skilled persons designing installations?

Funnily enough yes it does, so you can deviate from bs7671 and still comply with it!

and if you get it wrong what would a judge use to as their guidline. BS7671. So effectively stick to BS7671 and you cannot be wrong.

Reply to new reqs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock