• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New ring main for outside workshop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tfskeegs

Hi guys,

My first post on this forum, I am a regular at the Tiler forum.

I was hoping you guys may be able to give me an idea as to what I should expect to pay to have a dedicated ring main installed to supply my workshop outside.

The workshop is approx 500mm away from external wall and is no more than 3mtrs away from the CU in my house. I will require six double sockets in my workshop over a run of 8 linear mtrs.

I would preffer to have a dedicated ring main and I dont want to extend from existing circuit in the house.

Ring main will be used for 240v workshop machinery.

Please feel free to pm if pricing is not discussed publicy on this forum.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks chaps:teeth_smile:

well for a start.....if you can have it on its own ring....this would be the way to go.....and talking of way....is there any spare ways in the C/U?
earthing arrangements please.....as well as if theres any RCDs installed at origin...

Thanks for the response mate. An thanks for the sensible question which I was not sensible enough to check first lol

The consumer unit has a built in RCD I believe, there are no spares for new circuits though (I only just noticed this), is thier any way around this without changing the consumer unit?

I would be happy to have a radial if it makes any difference, I dont think length would be an issue.

thanks

Kris

If you dont have any spare ways you will have to get a stand alone rcd mini fuse box fitted next to the original one. We would then take power from that to your workshop. A small increase in the cost but its needed I'm afraid.

If your running workshop tools from the sockets I would advise a type C mcb but talk to the electrician about that at the quote stage. I would do it for around the £250-£300 mark if all the work could be done in a day. At least you have a bench mark to go from.

I would say the £300 mark would be a good figure to go from. What do you plan to do regarding lighting in your workshop? You just fit a fused spur and run lighting from that?

Yes, I was hoping I could use the ring main to supply a strip light.

- - - Updated - - -

Scotland is a beautiful big place if you want a price it would depend if your in inverness or just down the road from me.....sorry need more info

Im based in West Lothian mate.

If you dont have any spare ways you will have to get a stand alone rcd mini fuse box fitted next to the original one. We would then take power from that to your workshop. A small increase in the cost but its needed I'm afraid.

If your running workshop tools from the sockets I would advise a type C mcb but talk to the electrician about that at the quote stage. I would do it for around the £250-£300 mark if all the work could be done in a day. At least you have a bench mark to go from.
hmm...C type?..maybe....
depends of course on the nature of the loads...yes, there will be some inductives...but not enough to throw a B curve....

hmm...C type?..maybe....
depends of course on the nature of the loads...yes, there will be some inductives...but not enough to throw a B curve....

Op said "Ring main will be used for 240v workshop machinery."

Thats why I said talk to the electrician at the quote stage so he can see what is going to be plugged in, should be fine with a B type but you never know until you find out what the customer wants from his sockets?

Reply to New ring main for outside workshop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back