Discuss New Shower installation help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Trev69

Hi all, first of all I've got to say I know very little about electrics, hence coming on here. I have just bought an old cottage which I intend modernising. I will be doing most of the work myself, bit by bit. I recently installed a 9.6 amp shower over the bath, and as there is a 15 amp socket available, used for the washing machine with the old round pin plug, I plugged the shower into that, but it blew one of the fuses in the fuse box. I put a new bit of fuse wire in and the shower worked for a couple of times then the fuse blew again. Surely if it is a 15 amp plug it should work a 9.6 amp shower? Would it be better to wire a seperate socket for it?

Hi all, first of all I've got to say I know very little about electrics, hence coming on here. I have just bought an old cottage which I intend modernising. I will be doing most of the work myself, bit by bit. I recently installed a 9.6 amp shower over the bath, and as there is a 15 amp socket available, used for the washing machine with the old round pin plug, I plugged the shower into that, but it blew one of the fuses in the fuse box. I put a new bit of fuse wire in and the shower worked for a couple of times then the fuse blew again. Surely if it is a 15 amp plug it should work a 9.6 amp shower? Would it be better to wire a seperate socket for it?
9.6 Amp? do you mean 9.6 KW?

Agree that is 9.6kw which is over 40A. I think you need an electrician to install a new circuit.

height warning is 9.6 (in feet). not 9.6 metres. (kilowatts, not amps)

upload_2017-11-16_10-56-47.jpeg

You need a new cable ....... And a dedicated circuit with rcd protection

Reactions: DPG
The OP might be somewhat embarrassed for confusing Amps w3ith Kilowatts, nothing to be embarrassed about Mate, we all make mistakes, come back all is forgiven.

You'd have to wonder why he was attempting this though when he's clearly electrically incompetent.

Just had a mate round who knows more about electrics than I do (not hard). He says should definately not be a 15 amp socket and washing machine next to bath, and the difference between amps and kw! He says house needs total rewire, as fuse box has fuses in live and neutral. He says wiring very old and should not be used. Loks like we're going to be busy! Thanks for info anyway

You'd have to wonder why he was attempting this though when he's clearly electrically incompetent.
I know it's not right to attempt something like this
Just had a mate round who knows more about electrics than I do (not hard). He says should definately not be a 15 amp socket and washing machine next to bath, and the difference between amps and kw! He says house needs total rewire, as fuse box has fuses in live and neutral. He says wiring very old and should not be used. Loks like we're going to be busy! Thanks for info anyway
Your mate, is he an electrician?

that fuse box has to be older than me, then.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of you fuse board OP.

I feel the force dragging me to the dark side on this thread.... I'm being a good boy and leaving..

I feel the force dragging me to the dark side on this thread.... I'm being a good boy and leaving..
Me to I PMd the OP no response, so I'm off as well

Thread closed....@Trev69 what profile would you prefer to keep? This old one or the one you've been using most recently? Could you pm me and let me know.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to New Shower installation help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net