Discuss new socket on ring - advice needed please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kevineaton

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi hope you are well.

I'm trying to do the donkey work of channeling etc to add a new socket to a ring main, but i (or rather a spark) would need to break the ring. before i cut a channel i'd appreciate some advice as to if my plan is sensible or not!

problem and possible solution is described in this video

any advice gratefully received. thanks for your time.

oh, and i'm going to replace the back box on the light socket for one that doesn't have holes in it eventually!

Hi - nice video :)
I'd get an Electrician who has done this before. You can then work under instruction and do the labouring if it's agreed. There may be easier ways than you've outlined, or the existing cables may be damaged by your first cut into the wall. Worse still, the installation may not be fit to extend.

Hi hope you are well.

I'm trying to do the donkey work of channeling etc to add a new socket to a ring main, but i (or rather a spark) would need to break the ring. before i cut a channel i'd appreciate some advice as to if my plan is sensible or not!

oh, and i'm going to replace the back box on the light socket for one that doesn't have holes in it eventually!

The obvious answer would be to ask your electrician. He/she could tell where to cut your chases.

Edit too slow.

Hi hope you are well.

Hi Kevin, apart from being a forum rule not to offer step by step, or how to do advice, also not knowing if you are an electrician, or how experienced you are.
I feel it would be wrong to offer advice on this issue, probably going to get called all-sorts of names for this reply, but these are just my thoughts, no disrespect intended, but with the lack of information on your experience etc, it would be best if you got an Electrician to do this work for you., good luck anyhow.

probably going to get called all-sorts of names for this reply,

Bert.....

Not much point in putting a sensible reply here as the above posts have covered it.

Before you start chasing up the wall I would get the electrician to go through what he is going to do as I think that the existing cables are in the floor void and you would probably need to take the floor up but this is not a step by step guide so your electrician will advise after checking the existing circuit, then will advise you for doing the legwork of chasing etc.

Why is the existing switch and socket on surface boxes and not flush?
In my experience, surface box has been an add on at some time. It may be a spur off the ring, in which case you will need your electrician to advise.

and arrange to have all sockets at a sensible height. or do you have leprechans living there?

thanks for all the responses.

there may well have been leprechauns here at some stage before us or possibly someone disabled as there's all sorts of interesting pull switches from the ceilings all over the place, sockets at odd heights etc.

house is 1910 ish so yeah, maybe it is an add on box.

fair play, i'll get a spark in to have a look.

thanks again.

Reply to new socket on ring - advice needed please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock