Discuss New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I currently have a double socket in our spare bedroom and a 4 way extension block running a computer and peripherals. For neatness I would like to have an electrician add a second double socket right next to the existing one and do away with the extension block. The socket can be added to the existing ring main.

Just ask your electrician to install a short bit of 20mm or 25mm galv conduit in between the two socket back boxes bedded in the wall (a coupler would be easier). This is well within the Regs and is listed in the Regs itself. The new socket plate can be an RCD or none RCD one, depends upon its use. In your case, you do not need one (but it is advisable). As already said above, a surge protection extension lead should be used if for computer equipment, common sense.

Protection for fixed wire installations for cables less than 50mm from finished surface should be RCD protected OR adequate mechanical protection (galv conduit) OR surface mounted.

Its only an extra socket and even in London would cost less than £150 (should be anyway???)

Just ask your electrician to install a short bit of 20mm or 25mm galv conduit in between the two socket back boxes bedded in the wall. This is well within the Regs and is listed in the Regs itself. The new socket plate can be an RCD or none RCD one, depends upon its use. In your case, you do not need one (but it is advisable). As already said above, a surge protection extension lead should be used if for computer equipment, common sense.

Protection for fixed wire installations for cables less than 50mm from finished surface should be RCD protected OR adequate mechanical protection (galv conduit) OR surface mounted.

Its only an extra socket and even in London would cost less than £150 (should be anyway???)
In op's situation you would be hard pushed for a reason not to provide additional rcd protection.

@Paul.M where have you been - thought you may have been thrown out with the bath water !

No mate, nothing like that. It was just a good time to concentrate on life and not the Forum + other none essential things. I'm back now, ready to have a laugh with you all.... well now that the court cases have stopped and being put on a special registrar.... I can no longer live within 500 yards of a school and I've been fired from my part time job as an Ice cream van driver!!!!!!!!

Lowering the tone and taking threads off track since 2010!!!!!

Happy new year to you all ;)

Welcome back - mines a "99" with sprinkles!

Do you want to know where the sprinkles --- from?!?!?!?! ;)

Thanks for the welcome back. NYE and getting ready to go out. Question:- If I wrap kitchen foil around the tracker on my ankle, will it stop the signal to the local police station????

Just put an RCD socket plate on it, simples.
Done that, you stated it could be rcd or non rcd depending on usage. I stated it would be difficult to find a reason not to provide additional rcd protection in the op's situation. Is it 2017 yet.

What about replacing an existing faulty socket which isn't protected by an RCD, would that have to be an RCD socket too?

No windup. Like for like replacement. You'd just leave the damaged socket then?

if it was a like for like replacement why would there be a certificate? Maybe I am coming into this a bit late...
MWC, if I'm replacing a socket and there are issues with the existing installation I'm going to note that on the cert. And advise the customer according.

Doing a straight swap socket front for socket front, would this not just be classed as Maintenance, Just playing Devils Advocate.

Reply to New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock