Discuss New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I assume you do some tests, what do you do with the results?
OK i will be honest, some might not. If a customer rings me with a broken socket, switch stuck or face cracked, for example. I will swap it out, do a continuity test at the socket while de-energised, do a Zs when back up. Check CU damage/bonding/earth. Make appropriate suggestions if relevant, charge for the swap. No MWC. Job was to swap socket, that's all, local handyman could have done it, legally.

And if a handy man was doing it he'd be required to complete a MWC if he was complying with BS 7671

I read BYB part 2 where Minor Works are defined as "additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit". So to me, the like-for-like maintenance replacement of a cracked outlet in Sparks post #84 isn't a Minor Works. But I am always happy to learn :)

Edit : filling out a MWC can be done for this work, but I don't think it has to be (?) We are always required to to do "appropriate inspection and testing" of any work.

Last edited:
And if a handy man was doing it he'd be required to complete a MWC if he was complying with BS 7671
Last time I gave a (admittedly elderly) customer a MWC for a minor job, they looked at me blankly, in a mild state of panic. "What do I have to do with this?" they said. "Oh just put it with all your other important household documents" I told them. "Is it an important document then?" he said, even more worried. What can you say? For a socket change?
If it wasn't printed both sides i suppose they could use it for the ASDA list. I think I will just carry on not complying personally.

I think it is a matter of personal preference, you could argue it is not required and visa versa. We always provide one as a record of works carried out with the only test not generally carried out being IR between line/neutral. I suppose in the future should something happen to someone using the socket, you have proof that you carried out the minimum of required tests. Without this you can only verbally insist it was okay at the time of replacement.

Yes it is good practice for a company for records etc, it isn't required and when replacing one for myself or my mother I wouldn't be supplying a minor works, same for light switches and fittings.

I'm not saying you're not speaking logically, in fact quite the opposite. I just always understood that a cert of some kind was required for ANY electrical work.
Probably is. How an individual operates is up to them I think. I do find it a bit odd when people worry about what may happen in the future, following things like a socket change. it's just a socket, or a switch, or a light fitting, what can go wrong, other than it getting damaged? And how would the future "enquiry" know which socket was replaced anyway?

B
I do find it a bit odd when people worry about what may happen in the future, following things like a socket change. it's just a socket, or a switch, or a light fitting, what can go wrong?
If you change a socket for example and there's no rcd protection a lot could go wrong. As I said earlier, I charge for the hour anyway so why not just change the socket and carry a couple of relevant tests? The mwc is a simple 1 page doc that takes a couple of minuets to fill out on which you can put any observations on the existing installation. I'm still out of there in 1/2 hour and that's with a cuppa.

If you look on the back of the MWC model form it says something to the effect of:
For replacements, you don't have to provide a MWC, but you can. You should test though regardless of whether or not those results are recorded and a cert is issued

Probably is. How an individual operates is up to them I think. I do find it a bit odd when people worry about what may happen in the future, following things like a socket change. it's just a socket, or a switch, or a light fitting, what can go wrong, other than it getting damaged? And how would the future "enquiry" know which socket was replaced anyway?
Be specific, "replace broken socket in hallway" for example. Hopefully nothing will go wrong and obviously over a period of time a MWC may be negated anyway.

Of course a mwc could be lost, so could the invoice.
Don't forget the origin of this debate, someone asked if you would do a like for like swap of a socket if there was no rcd protection. In that situation I feel you need to issue a mwc mainly to record your observations. I'm still not sure why you wouldn't.

I did post a similar question about Minor Works for accessory replacement on domestic installations (on another forum), and it was 50-50 split. The pros quoted demonstrating what you have done, limiting litigation or blame should things go wrong, rental properties, dodgy properties, the fact it doesn't take up huge amount of time and just being a plan ol' professional electrician :)p). The conns quoted home owners have no idea about or careless about a cert, the cost (to the customer) of doing full tests for a cert, disconnecting circuit at CU for tests, locating/isolating appliances and testing only if the installation could benefit.

B67671 suggest Minor Works may also be used for replacement of accessories or luminaires, but appropriate inspection & testing...should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken.

Have to say, returning to this industry (domestic) in the last few years, I have had only one customer who could provide a certificate for previous work. When I have replaced a socket faceplate, or installed a luminaire, I do not always complete a MEIWC. I do carry out appropriate tests, but do not disconnected a circuit to do so. I keep record of the tests I've done.

Anything more, or the installation looks anything other than satisfactory, I will do a MEIWC. And I will do the full tests, and not write LIM or N/A.

Just my opinion. :)

Reply to New socket on ring main - replace consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net