Discuss New sockets or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeymoo

Been to a customer today. 3 bedroom ex council house. The guy has bought from the council the bedsit next door with
plans to knock through. But in the mean time the council have told him he needs to add the bedsit electrics to his own house creating one circuit. Easy enough.. Then I thought about it..The 3 bedroom house has no rcd protection (wire fuses) By adding the bedsit, is this adding sockets? so therefore needs RCD protection?

Cheers..

If you are adding additional sockets to the existing circuit, either as an extension to the existing socket circuit or as a new circuit, then they need to meet the latest version of BS7671! Whatever that says on RCD's is what you do ........

Been to a customer today. 3 bedroom ex council house. The guy has bought from the council the bedsit next door with
plans to knock through. But in the mean time the council have told him he needs to add the bedsit electrics to his own house creating one circuit. Easy enough.. Then I thought about it..The 3 bedroom house has no rcd protection (wire fuses) By adding the bedsit, is this adding sockets? so therefore needs RCD protection?

Cheers..

Its not the sockets to worry about unless he planning on having all the cables on the surface!

Adding Rcd protection isn't a problem and would be done anyway. Either by changing the board or adding another. It was the fact the both properties didn't have rcd protection to start with. But by adding them together then requiring rcd protection. Just made me think that's all. Did it or didn't it.
The bedsit already had its own sockets ( 8 total ) so just adding them to the upstairs ring of 3 bedroom house. Same with lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised the council has even allowed planning permission to link a leasehold property with a freehold property!! It's going to be a real headache in years to come for someone!!... lol!!

So what about the the other circuits in the bedsit property, they all need transferring over to the house supply, not just the socket circuit. Then the bedsit supply needs to be thoroughly isolated/disconnected at the main intake of the bedsit building....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised the council has even allowed planning permission to link a leasehold property with a freehold property!! It's going to be a real headache in years to come for someone!!... lol!!

So what about the the other circuits in the bedsit property, they all need transferring over to the house supply, not just the socket circuit. Then the bedsit supply needs to be thoroughly isolated/disconnected at the main intake of the bedsit building....

The the council have been getting rid of bedsits for years now. Go for £1000. Like I said light getting transferred also. No other circuits are left. All been removed. Then plan for the buyer is to knock through making one larger property. But condition of sale is that you have to link the electrics to main house.

So the council are having the service head and meter removed from bedsit. The guy who is buying bedsit wants to incorporate into his property to make one dwelling. Just treat it as any other job test and inspect both properties if all ok extend circuits in bedsit to cu in house or if suitable to existing circuits in house but this will have to be to current regs so some upgrading will be required.
Obviously you will only beable to dead test circiut in bedsit side :rolleyes:

Reply to New sockets or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net