Discuss New Style RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DurhamSparky

was hanging around the wrong side of a trade counter today and got involved in a very interesting conversation with the REP from GE

any way lets quote what the REP on this....

our new RCBO fits MOST CU's and does not/will not cause any issues providing if installed IAW instructions.

The RCBO is the same size as a MCB and looks rather sweet! however price is bit pricy! (cost price to wholesaler is £23+vat so to me that would be about £27+Vat)

View attachment 11530View attachment 11531

****just noticed tool station stock them!! @ 28 quid

Last edited by a moderator:
the proof will be in the pudding Looks cheapish but HEY if it does what it says on the tin and has BS numbers ect Im all for it

IAW mean "In Accordance With"

basically fit the RCBO correctly and you should have no problems with warranted replacements etc if a fault ever develops

£28 is a good price considering you struggle to get an RCD Fused spur for less than £20. I might try one of these for a job I've got coming up for bathroom downlights.

dfinately worth the extra few quid till prices come down, trying to fit some of the current range can be a right nightmare.

Had to wrestle two Hager RCBOs into a crowded Memera2000 earlier this week (have you seen the price of these, now obsolete, MEM RCBOs?) - could have done with knowing about these. I'm sure there'll be an oportunity to try one soon though.

Aaahhh I see, when he says will fit most boards, this isnt allowed though is it, you cant fit another brand of MCB/RCBO into a different brand of DB/CU...

Isn't this just a manufacturers instructions thing? If the manufacturers of the RCBO say it can be used in other manufacturers enclosures then I don't see anything stopping us.

Isn't this just a manufacturers instructions thing? If the manufacturers of the RCBO say it can be used in other manufacturers enclosures then I don't see anything stopping us.

Interesting that one, if the manufacturers of the board states you cannot use other manufacturers products in the board but the other manufacturer states that their RCBOs can be used in any board...
If you are fitting an RCBO you will presumably not have the board instructions only the RCBO instructions, so if fitted you are complying with the manufacturers instructions for the item you fit!

However I think the type testing issue is the (excuse) reason the manufacturers came up with to prevent this so I think you would still be nominally liable for faults as the "instruction" is general across manufacturers.

Interesting that one, if the manufacturers of the board states you cannot use other manufacturers products in the board but the other manufacturer states that their RCBOs can be used in any board...
If you are fitting an RCBO you will presumably not have the board instructions only the RCBO instructions, so if fitted you are complying with the manufacturers instructions for the item you fit!

However I think the type testing issue is the (excuse) reason the manufacturers came up with to prevent this so I think you would still be nominally liable for faults as the "instruction" is general across manufacturers.

Interesting conundrum...what came first, the chicken or the egg?? The Curve RCBO's sold by Denmans are £10/12 each?

Had to wrestle two Hager RCBOs into a crowded Memera2000 earlier this week (have you seen the price of these, now obsolete, MEM RCBOs?) - could have done with knowing about these. I'm sure there'll be an oportunity to try one soon though.

did you not just buy the pods that clip on top of the MCB???

i recently upgraded an old MEMERA cu with new style RCBO from the Eaton range... and i replaced the Mcbs with New as well so it all matched... :)

OK then..............................!!! Question time....!

for the people who say your not allowed to mix and match MCBS's rcbo's etc..

you purchase a MK 10 Way CU (Empty) effectively just Plastic and Metal.....! then you install wylex RCBO's and MCB's to the din rail what difference is that to installing a MK in to a Hager or a Eaton in to a Moller...

or is you buy a generic 4 way IP rated Box with clear flap lid made by GEWISS ....... Empty what Equiptment do you install in that?? im dammed sure you wont be able to buy a GEWISS Isolator or MCBS....!!

and again you install a "Hidded MCB" in a Adaptable box with din rail installed inside...! what make of equipment do you fit to your custom enclosure??

if it fits and is BS stamped i see no problem!! just like i see no problem with fitting Bosch brake pads and discs to my Peugeot van....!!!

and the reg is...??

and if so then if a regulation so exists in the book of love when a periodic is carried out we must all now code mix and match MCB's....!!!

so what code would you give it

C1 C2 C3

its not going to be 1/2 so must be a 3.... but how do you improve a BS stamped MCB 6ka 6A that fits with out modification inside a CU

replace it with an exact model made by CU manufacturer...!?? and if so what would you do with Old and New Style wylex MCB's!! same manufacturer but different design and build...!

NS and NH ranges for example...!

This debate was covered at length elsewhere before. I guess it's one of those areas where the Regs is an arse?

Thinking about it at previous annual assessments I've shown my assessor existing installs with mixed equipment and he never ever has commented about it. Did a Caravan site PIR Friday and the Hook-ups must have had a mixture of at least 5 different makes of RCD around the site, with different 6A and 16A MCB's.

I guess if there ever was any litigation due to a fault then manufacturers would argue amongst themselves that 'X' should not have been fitted in 'Y' and then both blame the Spark for doing it? Then the electricians 'left swinging in the wind'!

Reply to New Style RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock