Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is it not just common sense that it should be earthed at the supply end? What if it got severed completely and then re-energised, the armour would not be earthed. Mind you round here there is loads of it not earthed at all, seems to be a bit of a blind spot with a lot of contractors.

The EAWR does not apply to a domestic installation.
SWA should be earthed, otherwise it won’t work as designed.
It should a earthed or connected to the same earthing system as used by the protective device protecting the SWA.
Connecting the armour to one of the cores at the load end of the cable would require the Zs measurement would have to be taken at the supply end of the armour.
Not sure whether the Zs would then be low enough for the protective device to operate?

i think EAWR does apply to domestic installations, inasmuch as during any works carried out on the installation, and also the fact that you could consider housewives ( and house husbands for the PC loonies) to be working, even if only using a dishwasher. tin hat secured with cable ties and a bit of sticky tape.

Sorry but no.
The EAWR applies to employees and self employed persons while they are carrying out work tasks.
The only time a domestic installation would fall within the remit of the EAWR is if there were servants or domestic staff working there.
The EAWR would not apply to the installation, but would apply to the work practices of a tradesperson working in a domestic installation.

i agree. with that. myhousewife analogy may be a bit misleading, but it applies not only to the electrician working there on the installation, but to the safety of other trades e.g. tilers, woodbutchers, gas fitters, etc. ( sod plumbers, they don't deserve consideration. :D:D:D.).

We work to bs7671 in normal installations. As long as the disconnection time is met there is only a requirment to earth a conductive part that is part of a cable, no set in stone requirement of where. Nobody is ever going to be prosecuted for earthing at the load end and meeting ADS requirements,and to suggest so is ridiculous.
For small SWA cables (1.5/2.5/4.0 etc) with a cpc on shortish runs I'll frequently banjo one end only, whichever end is most convenient. I can see no point in making additional work doing both ends. Longer runs and larger distribution circuits with higher fault currents I'll do both ends.
NICEIC AC and our inspector has never queried it.

I know The HASAWA doesn't apply to domestic property or servants, and i thought EAWR was the same. However on searching i found this.

Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

Appendix
(para 5(5))

Electrical safety and enforcement in domestic premises
1 HSW Act s.3 and EAW Regulations apply to installation, maintenance and repair work in domestic premises. The Consumer Protection Act applies only to the provision of electrical goods or products, eg sockets etc but not to their installation.

2 Therefore, there is a possibility of inspectors becoming involved in questions of electrical safety at domestic premises. Unlike gas safety, however, there are no specific regulations. Inspectors have no powers of entry unless work activity is in progress and there are no requirements to report defects.

It goes on. Here's a link if your interested.
Its in the appendix.

OC 480/2: The electricity at work regulations 1989 - http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/480_2.htm#para27

What are these occasions then?

Ok, how about a supply to an outside socket or shed where you're coming from an existing socket on a RFC, plasterboard walls so you put in a single dry lining box for a DP switch or SFCU and drill through to outside behind the box, how do you earth the armour at that termination ? Yes I know you could terminate into a box outside but why create another unnecessary connection when you can earth the armour at the other end ? Or you could have an insulated CU to take your SWA from with no space around it for an additional connection box and no way of drilling a 20mm hole into it.

I have a vague memory of a reg somewhere that stated it should be earthed at at least one end and 'preferably' the supply end.

It’s not in the BYB .... possibly in a guidance note .... but that’s only guidance..... and not many people buy the guidance notes ... in fact I suspect fewer people are buying the big books , and fewer still actually read the incoherent regulations .....

As you have disagreed Murdoch, and you will not accept that you are wrong.
Please read these quotes, verbatim, straight from the LAW of the land.
EAWR89 & HASAWA74.

EAWR89:
Persons on whom duties are imposed by these Regulations
3.—(1) Except where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, it shall be the duty ofevery–
(a)
employer and self-employed person to comply with the provisions of these Regulations inso far as they relate to matters which are within his control; and
(b)
manager of a mine or quarry (within in either case the meaning of section 180 of the Minesand Quarries Act 1954(2)) to ensure that all requirements or prohibitions imposed by orunder these Regulations are complied with in so far as they relate to the mine or quarry orpart of a quarry of which he is the manager and to matters which are within his control.
(2) It shall be the duty of every employee while at work–
(a)
to co-operate with his employer so far as is necessary to enable any duty placed on thatemployer by the provisions of these Regulations to be complied with; and
(b)
to comply with the provisions of these Regulations in so far as they relate to matters which are within his control.

HASAWA74:
3 General duties of employers and self-employed to persons other than their employees.

(1) It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(2) It shall be the duty of every self-employed person who conducts an undertaking of a prescribed description to conduct the undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(2a) A description of undertaking included in regulations under subsection (2) may be framed by reference to—

the type of activities carried out by the undertaking, where those activities are carried out or any other feature of the undertaking;

whether persons who may be affected by the conduct of the undertaking, other than the self-employed person (or his employees), may thereby be exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(3) In such cases as may be prescribed, it shall be the duty of every employer and every self-employed person, in the prescribed circumstances and in the prescribed manner, to give to persons (not being his employees) who may be affected by the way in which he conducts his undertaking the prescribed information about such aspects of the way in which he conducts his undertaking as might affect their health or safety.

Does this statement suggest that it can be connected to whatever earthing arrangement exists at the origin OR alternatively, connected to a separate earthing arrangement at the load end?
If the SWA was feeding a separated TT installation then clearly the conductive part of the SWA would be earthed from the supply (TN) end,and electrically separated from the earthing arrangement at the load end..

As you have disagreed Murdoch, and you will not accept that you are wrong.
Please read these quotes, verbatim, straight from the LAW of the land.
EAWR89 & HASAWA74.

EAWR89:
Persons on whom duties are imposed by these Regulations
3.—(1) Except where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, it shall be the duty ofevery–
(a)
employer and self-employed person to comply with the provisions of these Regulations inso far as they relate to matters which are within his control; and
(b)
manager of a mine or quarry (within in either case the meaning of section 180 of the Minesand Quarries Act 1954(2)) to ensure that all requirements or prohibitions imposed by orunder these Regulations are complied with in so far as they relate to the mine or quarry orpart of a quarry of which he is the manager and to matters which are within his control.
(2) It shall be the duty of every employee while at work–
(a)
to co-operate with his employer so far as is necessary to enable any duty placed on thatemployer by the provisions of these Regulations to be complied with; and
(b)
to comply with the provisions of these Regulations in so far as they relate to matters which are within his control.

HASAWA74:
3 General duties of employers and self-employed to persons other than their employees.

(1) It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(2) It shall be the duty of every self-employed person who conducts an undertaking of a prescribed description to conduct the undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(2a) A description of undertaking included in regulations under subsection (2) may be framed by reference to—

the type of activities carried out by the undertaking, where those activities are carried out or any other feature of the undertaking;

whether persons who may be affected by the conduct of the undertaking, other than the self-employed person (or his employees), may thereby be exposed to risks to their health or safety.

(3) In such cases as may be prescribed, it shall be the duty of every employer and every self-employed person, in the prescribed circumstances and in the prescribed manner, to give to persons (not being his employees) who may be affected by the way in which he conducts his undertaking the prescribed information about such aspects of the way in which he conducts his undertaking as might affect their health or safety.

Hum .... no where in that lot does it say the earthing must be attached at the supply end .......

Spin, that is incorrect.
Read the requirements of Reg 3, then look at HASAWA, Reg 3, and come back and tell me that EAWR does not apply to domestic work, and explain your defence against these laws.
I did not say the EAWR does not apply to domestic work.
I said the EAWR does not apply to a domestic installation.

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock