Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RCD in house, so you are protecting the cable and can see if your freezer has tripped out.
RCD in shed for circuits also. Nuisance tripping means they are working! If the shed or house RCD go then good that’s what they are meant to do! Find the fault!
Do not export the TNCS earth! Your equipotential zone stops 1.5m away from the footprint of the building containing the supply!
TT the shed like you would with any external buildings and portacabins etc

... The task of work is being done when the domestic electrical installation is being designed, constructed, inspected and tested ... Thus the law does apply to people doing electrical installations works, whether employed or self employed when they are at work doing the work...
Hi - this has got a little complicated for my brain, but it seems @spinlondon (#96) post and yours agree ... That's me running for cover :) .

How on earth did we go from whether there was a “correct end” to earth SWA to this garbage ......
OK Murdoch, I'll tell you, because, it seems that nobody understands the requirements of the law when it comes to safe electrical installations.
It seems that people think they are exempt from the law when working on domestic jobs.
They are not, and HASAWA and EAWR are still relevant, after the contractor leaves the premises.
It isn't just my view, it is also that of Her Majesty's Coroners' office.
Now once there is an understanding that HASAWA and EAWR apply to domestic works, and that just because the spark walks away does not end his duty, then we can move forward.
I have explained that those at work have a legal responsibility for things that are under their control bu quoting the legislation.
You really need to understand the laws you have to comply with first then you will understand where I am coming from with regard to the SWA of the cable.
Once HASAWA S3, and S7 are understood, then EAWR S3 you will have a chance of understanding the reason behind why the SWA must be connected to earth at the supply end, not the load end.

I am fully understanding the situation, and this is not just my opinion it is that of many others, and other organisations.
The task of work is being done when the domestic electrical installation is being designed, constructed, inspected and tested, or do you not charge for the domestic installations you do Spin?
Do the rest of you do all your domestic installations works as DIY, therefore no money changes hands and nobody gets paid for any domestic installations works?
I know that the domestic installation industry is a race to the bottom, but I don't believe that no one gets paid for domestic installations works.
How do all these domestic electricians and those working for builders doing new builds pay for their food and mortgages of they are not at work and being paid when they are doing the electrical works?

Thus the law does apply to people doing electrical installations works, whether employed or self employed when they are at work doing the work.
Therefore the Health and Safety At Work etc. Act 1974 applies to these people when they are at work, if it doesn't why to all these house building companies make such a bloody massive thing about Health and Safety on their construction sites.

So is every house building company in the country wrong then Spin? Because that is what you are saying. You are saying that HASAWA & EAWR do not apply to domestic works.
Why are you still banging on about this I thought that this thread was about a supply to a shed? I am not taking away the importance of the subject but it would have been better to have the debate under a new/separate thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
its physics.
And you are not allowed to export a tncs earth without DNO permission.
In fact it is such basic physics I learnt this in year 2 at college.
The regs are a ‘guide book’ not a ‘must do’ book.
You’d best hope I am never an expert witness and you are being prosecuted by us at the HSE.

its physics.
And you are not allowed to export a tncs earth without DNO permission.
You’d best hope I am never an expert witness and you are being prosecuted by us at the HSE.
So what is the BS regulation No that refers to this issue? Whilst I don't doubt your sincerity, despite your posturing and threats, show the forum some evidence, not in the form of more threats, but as written evidence.

Last edited:
its physics.
And you aren’t allowed to export a tncs earth without DNO permission.
You’d best hope I am never an expert witness and you are being prosecuted.
IET guidance note 5
ESQCR 2002
EAWR 89.

‘Touch voltages’ ‘no equipotential zone’

Ta

its physics.
And you aren’t allowed to export a tncs earth without DNO permission.
You’d best hope I am never an expert witness and you are being prosecuted.
IET guidance note 5
ESQCR 2002
EAWR 89.

‘Touch voltages’ ‘no equipotential zone’

Ta
Thanks for this I'll take a look see, although no regulation No as yet

Hi - apologies if I have misunderstood, is it Reg 411.4.3 you're thinking of ? This Reg notes that PEN conductors are prohibited in consumer's installations. Hopefully the discussion here would not be about doing that (!!!) but just taking L, N and an appropriately sized CPC and protective bonding conductor (if needed) out to the shed.

I can find nothing in the documents referred to, just a regulation no is required, if you are brought before a court of law for dangerous electrical installation practices, then the BS will be a point of reference for any prosecutor, when referring to the EAWR 1981, as you say the Regulations are not a statutory document, but a guide to upholding the EAWR 1981, show us a regulation number from BS 7671 which deals with this issue, and you may get some constructive comments, rather than quoiting 3 documents at random.

Understand the difference between a ‘main earth terminal’ and a ‘earth marshalling terminal’ in respect to taking a supply out of an equipotential zone.
There is also only one use for an SWA gland.
EAWR section 8 May be a bit complicated for some of you but I would read it a few times and adhere to best engineering practises. Not your interpretation of a non statutory document.

Understand the difference between a ‘main earth terminal’ and a ‘earth marshalling terminal’ in respect to taking a supply out of an equipotential zone.
There is also only one use for an SWA gland.
EAWR section 8 May be a bit complicated for some of you but I would read it a few times and adhere to best engineering practises. Not your interpretation of a non statutory document.
What is an earth marshaling terminal? an MET or what, and what is the only use for an SWA gland?

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net