Discuss New switch needed to lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave S

Quick question....
I had a room with 4 strip lights that come on by a sensor. I've now split this room into 2 rooms so I now have 2 lights coming on with the sensor from the other room. Quickest way to put the 2 lights in the new room on a switch so they are not coming on with the sensor in the other room? Cheers.

or fit a sensor to the new room lights.

Hi Dave and Welcome to the Forum.
Yes, a new switch is required. It's a quick little job for an Electrician, so that may be the quickest way ?

Hi Dave and Welcome to the Forum.
Yes, a new switch is required. It's a quick little job for an Electrician, so that may be the quickest way ?

Not sure I agree with this bit.... depending on how the lights are wired now, the addition of another switch could be messy. Is this a ground floor room or a room with a loft above?

I can't get above, at present all 4 lights are connected straight from the fuse box and a sensor was put it in off one of the lights so they only come on when someone was in there. Obviously the 2 lights in the new room are coming on as well with that sensor.

No it's an old kitchen that is been split but because of what is above it's physically impossible to get above. They've used trunking when it was originally done across the middle of the ceiling, which comes from the fuse box with a number of cables in for different things, the lighting cable then goes above the ceiling to the lights from that trunking. Obviously the first light already has the sensor connected.

Hi - just trying to be optimistic (for a change) that the existing wiring could be easily adapted :)

No it's an old kitchen that is been split but because of what is above it's physically impossible to get above. They've used trunking when it was originally done across the middle of the ceiling, which comes from the fuse box with a number of cables in for different things, the lighting cable then goes above the ceiling to the lights from that trunking. Obviously the first light already has the sensor connected.

Shame you didn't provide this information originally

As long as surface trunking is OK, then this may be straightforward..

HI, new here!
Was just browsing and am so happy at finding all the helpful advice, so thank you to all of you experts!
I think the OP has 2 problems here. One is isolating the 2 lamps in room 2 so they are not activated by the sensor in room 1, and the second problem is providing a switch to operate the 2 lamps in room 2.
The usual hassle of raggling the walls and leading cable to a switch, then re-plastering and re-decorating...
My suggested solution is as follows:
Always assuming this circuit can be properly isolated at the CU, naturally!
1. At the sensor, bypass this with a permanent live from the front end, to the second set of lamps.
2. This would mean that the lamps in room 2 were permanently on, when the mcb is reactivated.
3. Deactivate the circuit, and check, check, check that there is no current to the second room lights.
4. Break into the conduit and cut the cable, then insert a quinetic controller here,
Quinetic 6 Amp Wireless Switch Receiver - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR303.html
or bury it in the roof void in a suitable enclosure, if possible.
5. Position a quinetic switch,
1 Gang Kinetic Wireless Switch - White - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUE11W.html
or 2 or 3, anywhere you want, and pair them with the controller, and the job is done.

This system has worked for me in quite a number of awkward installations. Not having to raggle and fill is a huge bonus, time wise...and while the job is a bit more expensive, the householder prefers to pay a bit more not to have the plaster dust and disruption! Also, the client saves the cost of the labour, so the cost of the gear is negligible.
First time post, so be nice to me if I have got it wrong!

Reply to New switch needed to lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net