Discuss New to EF and seeking help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I paid for, and completed a condensed course and achieved my C&G BS7671 + C&G 2393.
I also have a Logic Installer Domestic Installer LCDE1, and PAT Testing.
I am somewhat confused as to what i am allowed and can do in the big world of electricians?

I would appreciate any help in going forward; i am trying to get my ECS card, but i am finding it hard to be categorized. i have completed the H&S part.

If i chose to work for myself, what am i allowed to undertake?
I understand that i can not join NAPIT or NICEIC.
You do not have these things explained to you after completing your course, and my head is ready to explode with confusion, so again any advise would really be helpful.

Hi TW - my thought is you'd be best placed to find work with an established Electrician who could supervise and train you. The fact you've shelled out cash and done some training shows a level of commitment, but I wouldn't be tempted to go it alone :)

Hi TW - my thought is you'd be best placed to find work with an established Electrician who could supervise and train you. The fact you've shelled out cash and done some training shows a level of commitment, but I wouldn't be tempted to go it alone :)
Tosh, I was going to answer but Wilko has said it all, those courses you paid for as far as I can tell are for establish Electricians, and the PA testing course, well I had better not say what I think of that, I wish you well do what Wilko has suggested.

Yes. Agree with @Wilko - you'll need 2 years at least of experience to even think of then going it alone. So many tricks of the trade to learn to get through the average day. The last thing you want is to make it onto the thread - "dodgy trade pics" and have derogatory remarks made.
Get the experience, you will not regret it.
All the best

What you have done so far is pretty much as stated above. What you need is Electrical installation and design, Initial verification and testing exams such as the ones suggested or C&G 2397. All of which like the courses you have done require ongoing experience to make sense of them. In fact I cannot understand how you got the exams you have gained so far. Did any of it make any sense to you?
Anyway have a look at this link. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
It will show you the accepted routes into being an electrician. Whatever anyway tells you regards parting with your money these routes are the only currently acceptable ways into being an electrician proper.
With what you have at the moment you will not be able to work in the industry except as a labourer or mate. Advertise yourself in local wholesalers maybe someone will take you on, lets hope you find someone nice like me to help you forward.

Thank you all for your help and advise. Really appreciated.
They don't tell you all this when you have paid out so much.
Yes Vortigen, it did make sense and i really enjoyed it. Very intense and a few headaches along the way!

Thank you all for your help and advise. Really appreciated.
They don't tell you all this when you have paid out so much.
Yes Vortigen, it did make sense and i really enjoyed it. Very intense and a few headaches along the way!
I think you are right Tosh, personally I think this is what is wrong with these short course establishments, they have seen a niche in the market and capitalised on it, they take your hard earned promise the earth, which sadly, in many cases leave the student with qualifications that are not what they need, and are put of pocket to the tune of many hundreds of pounds, one of the reasons I personally don't like them.

Reply to New to EF and seeking help! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net