Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss New to forum, Is it just me!! how have I got Voltage?? in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Hello guys, been a voyeur of the forum for some time, just taken a u turn in career later on in life than I should, been out and done my testing and inspection and looking to join a CPS!

Iam hoping "its just me" what am i missing? Ive never seen this before!

So I'am doing a Ze at home, first time after completing my inspect and testing in order to use in preparation as part of my acceptance to a CPS. Disconnected main earth and clamped on, for some reason clamped on to the Neutral bar and not the top of the main switch and probed line in on top of main switch did the test and got a result, its at that point I'am thinking hang on how have i got a result using the Neutral bar when the main switch is off, so tested for dead between line in at the top of the main switch and the Neutral and MET with switch off and main earth disconnected and got 240v on both, so I'am then thinking fault on the neutral side of the main switch so disconnected the outgoing neutral completely from the main switch and still getting 240v top of the switch supply to Neutral Bar and to MET.

So then i disconnect all circuits, put the main earth back and the Nuetral as if it was an installation without circuits, 0v measured, so then start to add the circuits back to the board and test as before and then getting 240v potential from top of main switch to individual circuits. How?? all the time main switch off.

There is nothing else to suggest issues, its only clamping onto the Neutral Bar as part of the Ze I have discovered this.

I guess my question is how the heck can i have a 240v reading from main line in to the installation with the main earth and the Neutral disconnected how is adding circuits introducing potential. I'am lost on what to do.

Advise greatly appreciated

Cheers

Digi19

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Welcome to the forum :)

With the main switch off, have you tested for continuity between the two sets of contacts? i.e. have you checked for the correct operation of the main switch? Could be the line contacts are stuck.

Do you have a solar system? If you do, was it isolated when doing the testing?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Wow, cheers Sparky chick for such a quick response, no other supply sources and switch operation OK and operates correctly.

Cheers

Digi 19

4. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Is there an isolator before the mainswitch on the board?
    Gut says reverse polarity, but I’m maybe not following your sequence of testing.

5. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Forum Mentor

Do you live in an attached house?
    Have you checked the wiring in your attic?

6. SparkyChick

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    So to confirm... your readings...

Incoming L - Earth bar (with main earth disconnected) = 240v
    Incoming L - Neutral bar (with neutral disconnected) = 240v

7. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Hi littlespark, thanks for reply. No isolator, 100amp fuse- "smart" meter-CU.

8. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Thanks Archy Strigg, Semi detached, not sure where your going with that.

9. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Correct.

10. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

No isolator, polarity OK.

11. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

I think @Archy Styrigg@Archy Styrigg is implying your neighbour has connected his house to yours, to steal your leccy.
    Your measuring a second supply from his house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SparkyChick

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Providing you're bonding is good, then I would expect to see near full supply voltage between the incomer and the earth bar regardless of the state of the main earth.

I can't comment on the neutral, but it could be leakage through devices to earth.

13. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Ohh ok, no can't see owt. It's highley unlikely, supplies on opposite been sides of buildings I've been here a long time.

14. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

I read the O.P as with NO circuits connected then 0volt .
    Is the voltage only present with circuits connected to the Neutral bar?
    If so can you narrow it down to a single circuit and investigate?

15. Digi19

Digi19 EF Member

Thanks Snowhead if I disconnect individual circuits, I get voltages from the neutral of the circuit to incomming (L) , I will test tommorow for clearer info. As per the comments