Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss New to the Trade, level 2 + 3 C & G 2365 + 18th Edition. in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Phil Knight

Phil Knight New EF Member

Hi all,

I need some advice on my next move. I took the opportunity to train towards becoming an Electrician and have so far got my City & Guilds 2365 level 2 + 3 and my 18th Edition. I have been looking at improver and mates jobs but they still seem to want experience. What is the best way to get noticed and taken seriously. My background is warehouse management so my CV reflects this. I am willing to accept anything within reason so long as it helps me achieve my goal. Any ideas?

Phil

2. PJElectricalSW

PJElectricalSW Active EF Member

Door knocking gets you in front of people that would be best placed to hire you, phoning and just sending prospective letters rarely gets you to the person that would be interested in hiring and the receptionist will just ask for CV and covering letter and normally file it appropriately.

How many medium to large sized electrical firms do you have locally? Make a list and take a half day to go and visit them with a load of CV's and covering letters in hand just in case you get in front of the correct person. They will see that you are genuine by this action and take note, I certainly would if you did this. If the firm you see says no, ask if you can leave your details should something come up and if they know of anyone hiring that they could recommend.

Maybe look at some H&S bits, if you haven't done so already get your CSCS card, it is easy and one less thing your future employer will have to worry about.

Good luck,

Pete

3. Phil Knight

Phil Knight New EF Member

Thanks Pete, I will certainly give that a shot. I have taken my test (and past it) for ECS H+S but I think (and I could be wrong here) I need an employer to help me get the card I need? Or is there another way?

Regards

Phil

4. PJElectricalSW

PJElectricalSW Active EF Member

I think you are right, you need a sponsor to get an ECS card. I haven't had one for a few years and it's all changed by the look of it.
    I think you have done enough to get noticed Phil, keep reading trade mags and keeping up to date with products, tools and regs. You'll soon get a spot somewhere and get experience. Apparently there is a skills shortage so firms will need cheap skilled labour (don't be offended, you are highly desirable).

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    go for agency work as a mate. blagg it. all agencies want is 18th and cscs card.then after a year, you can add practical experience to your CV.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1