Discuss New to the world of electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am of a later age, and have enjoyed (use the term loosely) a career in Operations / Logistics.

As Im approaching 50, I am looking at taking on training within electrics in my spare time - evenings and weekends, having been bought up in that environment with my father being quite competent giving me the confidence to do my own minor jobs, checking of course with those in the know if unsure.

Being new, the whole world of qualifications seems to be a mine field, and as with so many things on google, there is conflicting information.

Initially I am looking to get qualified on part-p - and 17th edition, and ideally would like the opportunity to work alongside a qualified sparks (free of course) on a Saturday to build practical knowledge - I am just unsure exactly what courses / qualification I should aim for and in which order in layman's terms, as there seem so many out there although I know most of the heavy stuff is going into commercial work, which I would like to aim for long term.

Any help appreciated, although just to make it clear, I know there is no fast route to the knowledge you guys have, I am just trying to get started at the beginning as we all have to at some point.

thank you

Vince

Hi there.

I was in the IT industry until the DotCom bubble burst at the end of the 20th Century. At the age of 50 (like you) I jumped out of a salaried job and took up full time sparking. this was a few years before the introduction of Part P so i could take on most jobs that came my way without the need to notify anything.
As well as learning 'on the job' - mostly on my own - I did City & Guilds at night school, so I could learn how to electrocute people properly (only kidding).

The qualifications that you take will really depend on where you intend to end up.
If you plan to take on domestic electrical works then you will need to join one of the Competent Person Schemes, they all have specific requirements for entry.

Part P doesnt apply to industrial, but you would then need to achieving a JIB grade
http://www.jib.org.uk/documents/publications/20-jib377r.pdf

BTW. "17th edition" is really only learning how to read and find things in a book, but you'll need to know how to do that.
Part P is a Building Regulation and I'm not sure how you get a qualification in that!

You'll probably need City and Guilds 2365 Level 2 and 3, but check on the CPS requirement if you are heading that way.

Good luck!

Thank you for that - the part p qualification I am referring to is C&G 2393-10 which I believe is based on the building regs for electrical installations.

Definitely at this stage want to just be domestic, although for other notches in my belt long term would like to push further - but small steps first

Hi - welcome to the forum.
Like most stuff there will be a C&G course for it (and £many to be paid). If you've not done this before, perhaps dip in with building regs qualification 2393 and the 2382 17th edition wiring rules. The IET Electricians Guide to Building Regs and The IET Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671 books are a cracking read. Think long and hard before committing £Ks to one of the training places to fast-track you, as you will still need experience and that takes time.

thank-you Wilko - 2393 and 2382 was my plan, and I am sourcing those books - once I have them under my belt is that enough to sign on to a scheme or will I need time served - if so what is the likelihood of a qualified spark on-boarding me for a Saturday with just those two
Vince

2393 and 2382 was my plan, and I am sourcing those books - once I have them under my belt is that enough to sign on to a scheme
Suggest you look on the web site(s) of a couple of schemes and check the requirements. Certainly you will need to show the scheme's assessor one or more of your installations.

don't waste money on apart p "qualification". just download the doc. it's available from planning portal. , read and understand. then 2365 level 2 and level 3 ( evening courses are available at a lot of colleges). try and get experience meanwhile as a sparrk's mate.

Hi and welcome
Im in the same boat buddy I have retrained in the electrical field and im in me 40s my advice would be to get as much on job experience as you can and try and avoid the so called fast track routes to becoming an electrician. There are a few out there and some offer you the part P qualification which does not exist if im right. To be a part P domestic installer and be registered with a scheme you will need to have at least the 17th edition wiring regs and initial verification and testing certifications. You will need to understand installation procedures and be able to interpret tests results and calculations and this is only gained with experience by following or shadowing another electrician. For commercial work the only route is the fully qualified electrician route in which you will need to complete the City & Guilds 2365 level 2 and 3 diplomas at college and then the AM2 assesment (the route im taking)
This qualification will get a lot more interest from electricians to employ you and help you than the fast track route.
Good luck to you keep at it as there is hope for us mature students. Keep an eye on the forum and even try posting your experience and targets in the forum itself it may get you a start with a electrician.

thank-you Wilko - 2393 and 2382 was my plan, and I am sourcing those books - once I have them under my belt is that enough to sign on to a scheme or will I need time served - if so what is the likelihood of a qualified spark on-boarding me for a Saturday with just those two
Vince
The schemes have a list of entry criterion and it's best to read them for your good self, but experience is certainly a factor in becoming skilled.

As a new entrant to sign onto a domestic scheme you will need the minimum of a level 3 qualification 2365 L3 (or equivalent) & 17th edition exam 2382. You should look at the attached link which will take you to the required routes according to the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme. To be honest you need to do a Level 3 qualification as otherwise you won't have a scooby! The 2393 isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Hi and welcome
Im in the same boat buddy I have retrained in the electrical field and im in me 40s my advice would be to get as much on job experience as you can and try and avoid the so called fast track routes to becoming an electrician. There are a few out there and some offer you the part P qualification which does not exist if im right. To be a part P domestic installer and be registered with a scheme you will need to have at least the 17th edition wiring regs and initial verification and testing certifications. You will need to understand installation procedures and be able to interpret tests results and calculations and this is only gained with experience by following or shadowing another electrician. For commercial work the only route is the fully qualified electrician route in which you will need to complete the City & Guilds 2365 level 2 and 3 diplomas at college and then the AM2 assesment (the route im taking)
This qualification will get a lot more interest from electricians to employ you and help you than the fast track route.
Good luck to you keep at it as there is hope for us mature students. Keep an eye on the forum and even try posting your experience and targets in the forum itself it may get you a start with a electrician.
This is tremendous advice. I am not being funny but do you have the practical experience? On top of all the qualifications and other stuff, you need to be able to actually operate in either a domestic or commercial environment, alongside other trades who will soon suss you out if you are not properly "on the tools". You either have to be very competent and confidant regarding this side of things or spend time doing a "latter day apprenticeship" with a mentor. Does operations and logistics fit in?

This is tremendous advice. I am not being funny but do you have the practical experience? On top of all the qualifications and other stuff, you need to be able to actually operate in either a domestic or commercial environment, alongside other trades who will soon suss you out if you are not properly "on the tools". You either have to be very competent and confidant regarding this side of things or spend time doing a "latter day apprenticeship" with a mentor. Does operations and logistics fit in?
Personally I do I have been under a fully qualified electricians wing now for nearly 2 years. I survey and price jobs for my employer and I am in my opinion competent in most domestic situations but only through being taught by an experienced electrician. I am still learning all the time though and my employer has no worries about putting me to work on my own in certain domestic situations but to add all my work is checked and my test results are double checked by him when he comes to see the job.

Hi and welcome
Thank you so much for the really helpful reply mate

Hi and welcome
Thank you so much for the really helpful reply mate

Personally I do I have been under a fully qualified electricians wing now for nearly 2 years. I survey and price jobs for my employer and I am in my opinion competent in most domestic situations but only through being taught by an experienced electrician. I am still learning all the time though and my employer has no worries about putting me to work on my own in certain domestic situations but to add all my work is checked and my test results are double checked by him when he comes to see the job.
Sorry mate I was referring to the OP not you!!

No practical experience as far as working as an electrician, although have done more than my fair share of work around the home / friends / family, before regs tightened up obviously :) - I am more than competent with general handyman work and have a good full set of tools although this is totally new to me as a career change. so I am expecting to start from the bottom upwards, simply looking for guidance on the correct route.

I cannot see any way that Operations fits in, apart from the planning / logical side of the job - I also had to be highly numerate which I believe helps, but again from the bottom upwards.

Ive had some good guidance on what course route to take, although being in full time employment, the shadowing of an electrician is going to be the stumbling block, unless I can get one willing to help me out on a Saturday, although not sure how far down the qualification side I would need to be before they will even entertain me. We all need to start somewhere

No practical experience as far as working as an electrician, although have done more than my fair share of work around the home / friends / family, before regs tightened up obviously :) - I am more than competent with general handyman work and have a good full set of tools although this is totally new to me as a career change. so I am expecting to start from the bottom upwards, simply looking for guidance on the correct route.

I cannot see any way that Operations fits in, apart from the planning / logical side of the job - I also had to be highly numerate which I believe helps, but again from the bottom upwards.

Ive had some good guidance on what course route to take, although being in full time employment, the shadowing of an electrician is going to be the stumbling block, unless I can get one willing to help me out on a Saturday, although not sure how far down the qualification side I would need to be before they will even entertain me. We all need to start somewhere

I am in the same situation as Uksrevivor in that I swapped from nursing at 48 years and did a quick but thorough course but it contained little practical - I'm an electricians mate to a very qualified and it's coming up to 14 months and I've learnt so much and gained massive confidence in working alone, pricing and being a valued second person. I've not earnt much at all but the experience has been worth it all. Making way through NVQ3 which in itself is testing but Working full time enables completion of the different modules with plenty of evidence. Agree with everyone when they say this job is a majority of experience with a heavy sprinkling of head knowledge but never the other way around. Best wishes OP

Reply to New to the world of electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock