Discuss New to this forum and UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello to all forum members,

I am from Turkey and moved to England this month. I am five years experinced electrical-electronics engineer in Turkey. And in here I would like to work on home automation and domestic electrical systems. I think to setup my own business in this field. So probably I will need some certificates. As far as I can search in the web, domestic electrical courses seems as a good start, I have some certificates and university graduation but they are not valid in the UK. Also except this courses, surely I have to get an ECS card. But which one should I get? I am a bit confused when looking card types, For “installation electrician” or “maintenance electrician”, I can not provide certificates to prove my qualifications, I have many cerficates but I achieved them from Turkey, also for a start if I apply electric labourer card, it is need to give "Proof of employment in the electrical industry". But as I wrote, I think to set-up my own business. So I am a bit confused, how can I start and which ECS card is optimum for me? I will be happy if I hear your suggestions. Thanks in advance for all reading my post and greetings.

Hi & welcome. :)

Whether you need an ECS card depends on what kind of work you are doing. If you are doing work for private domestic customers, perhaps you don't need one at all.

I've never had one (and don't want one) - I even work on an occasional new build now and again (typically private customer's personal new build).

Hello, you don't necessarily need an ECS card, I've never had one and have never been asked for one either on any job I have ever been on, with regards to the qualifications if there not some why to have them graded here? ( not sure what the word I'm looking for is here) to see if any are valid

When I am searching on web that what will I need to start working, I saw this page. So I asked to clarify.
Thank you very much for all replies.

From CSCS to ECS, Which Cards Do Electricians Need And Why? - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/posts/cscs-ecs-cards-explained

"The Card for Electricians
There are several cards used on construction sites, the most commonly known about is the CSCS card which demonstrates your competence to work at industry standards. Almost any job on a construction site will require a valid CSCS card, however as an electrician it is the ECS card you will need as this is the only card that will allow you access to carry out electrical work on site. An ECS card proves your electrical skills and is the only CSCS affiliated card for the electrical industry."

… however as an electrician it is the ECS card you will need as this is the only card that will allow you access to carry out electrical work on site.."

Well as I mentioned before, this isn't always the case. I started first fix of a large detached new build today (for a private customer) and there was no mention of such cards, I don't have one and don't want one. I should add that I operate as a limited company.

Perhaps the website you quoted has some interest in promoting these cards, I don't know.

Reply to New to this forum and UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock