Discuss New trainee. Is 4 month training realistic to get qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Same with most professions Ken. I've been in my current profession for 29 years and it's completely different from when I first started. Still have to deal with the same old ---- but now bogged down with high levels of bureaucracy and risk assessments. People can walk in after passing a few exams and doing a bit of training but the real learning doesn't start until you do the job and learn by experience and that never stops.

LOL trainee electrician myself. Paid 7500 for a course which is mostly self study but practical modules and time spent on site is mandatory there is no such thing as a qualification without a portfolio. They've said the average study time for a mature adult is 3 years including on site time.

I'm a time served spread. There are 7 day and 2 week courses to become a plasterer. It took me 3 years before I was set loose alone again as a mature learner.

I think if you start as a kid the first two years are spent learning how to sweep up and get off your mobile phone. 3 Years seems realistic for most trades though Electricians training is a lot more cerebral so if you are more hands on than not maybe its not a good idea. But what the hell would I know. I do know most sparks aren't the hands on type its why they can't set a back box properly or pin a cable :D

I'm spending a lot of time on sites now as agency mate or improver and it's because I'm a mature learner, have paid to change career and want to learn and do my absolute best in every install.
I'm almost at the total of my NVQ as I've compiled so much evidence and photographed it and written it up and learnt from everyone of those moments.
I'm moving into the commercial after 2 1/2 years of domestic and the whole thought pattern is shifted and the tools used are different for containment and fixing.
I've been working with a 21 year old qualified and fair play he gets on with it but I think maturity makes me think about how to do things with a bit more common sense (but still respect to him).
I'm enjoying this journey and keep making the right decisions which are taking me on a good path.
This forum has been great and as Hightower said the other day, has been fundamental in my learning and that's what it's about - learning. You don't get this trade handed to you otherwise you'll fail on the first day or end up with your work on 'dodgy trade pics' and none of us want to be there.
Crack on - I am!
Ps. I AM a tool tart. I've got in my shopping basket 200mm knipex 20 degree bolt croppers for basket and some nibblers for tray. I cannot do the work if I don't have the tools. The right tools make the job easier and more enjoyable. Did I hear an Amen?

As above when I started it was 4 weeks at college and 2 on site for the first year then 2 at college and 4 on site for the second then the 3rd and 4th years was day release 3rd on a Monday 4th on a Friday which was a big mistake, a 20 year old let loose at Uxbridge Tech which was also a secretarial college wasn't going to end well and I think I failed the next level up, think it was the one that gets you to approved status.

Lots of fun though, Sally and her red leather shorts/minis/crop tops mmmmmmm

Back to earth.

These courses have been going on for years as I remember back in the 80's being sent out by my company for 3 days someone along the North Circular near Eltham I believe to sit in on a course that was helping the unemployed get back to work, I think it was something like a 1 year course, I felt wrong and dirty being there especially when I had to do 4.5 years.

No long weights, sky hooks, bubble for a level sweeping floors making the teas bloke turning up on site the day after Valentines days and dropping his trousers and showing us the suspenders an stockings he bought for his missus but she called him a perv and told him to wear them himself and he did, ah those where the days.

Sorry got carried away.

Perused over the pages so forgive me if i've missed anything, long story short i've been away from the industry for 8-9 years' ish and i've gone back to finish what i started years before that (C&G 2360) but rather than do an NVQ refresher i've gone back to take the newer qualifications, giving me the chance to finally get my inspection and testing albeit the fast way but id rather not be sitting on day release again.

However I can tell you one thing. The guys that are along side me are really finding it quite difficult, the basic practical skills aren't there and it shows as does not having the technical knowledge and experience. There is a lot I had forgotten but it is flooding back hence why i am able to steam further ahead than the rest, i'm still having to study its certainly not a walk in the park.
My advise would be find the right course 2365 etc and work towards it. Get the level two under your belt then start looking for mate work and build your experience and qualifications from there. These guys on the course will maybe scrap through getting the minimum pass rates but wont have the necessary exposure to move forward. I am only lucky as i had been in game a long while back and had years of commercial exposure from being on the tools to project managing contracts.

Either way good luck, just make sure you do your homework before you shell out any monies :)

Reply to New trainee. Is 4 month training realistic to get qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net