Discuss New trainee. Is 4 month training realistic to get qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A run through this thread puts a spotlight on the problem us newbies; however dedicated we are, have to face. Rip off private colleges compete against dead beat FE institutions full of "better in my day" theorists who either can't hack real work or are cruising to retirement.

We are told we can qualify in months but not that no one will give you a start - qualified or not. Tools have moved on and turning up without a full compliment of battery kit will get you on cable pulling duty for months. Everyone knows why we are wrong (we look up info on Web based phones. Get used to it). There is absolutely NO informed help and advice out there; this forum is a bloody great spotlight of information in a dark world of mis-information.

This is not aimed at anyone in paticular and no one need take personal offence but it takes big ones to be an apprentice clearing 30 - 40 a day. Thanks guys and good luck to the newbies hoping they made the right choice.

From where I'm standing, it just isn't possible to become an electrician in four months.

Given that a four-year apprenticeship was considered the norm back in the 1970s when I started-out, I just don't see how it would be possible for anyone starting-out today to acquire the same level of knowledge and skills in any less time. More so when one takes into consideration the fact that with constant technological advances, the levels of knowledge and skills required today are much greater than at any time in the entire history of the trade. Under the circumstances perhaps an apprenticeship lasting a minimum of 5 years would be more appropriate.

Furthermore, there aren't any time-served sparks that I know who would disagree that the real learning curve began in earnest on the day that our apprenticeships ended. From thereon we had to think for ourselves. We were on our own with no Internet forums to turn to for help and advice. Even now at 58 years of age with 37 years post-apprenticeship experience under my belt I still don't know it all. What I do know, however, is that in this trade the learning curve is never-ending.

Hi Everyone
An update for this topic. So I have listened the older and wiser guys ( One said. To be old and wise You need to be young and stupid) on this forum and went to the collage And I must say it was a good decision. I could call myself a lucky one as I have found an employment on commercial site and I have been working there for the last 4 months and I am enjoying of every moment out there. My supervisor said that I am working as I had a 2 years of experience in the industry, which build up my confidence. I even got a pay rise. So things are going really well.

Hi Everyone
An update for this topic. So I have listened the older and wiser guys ( One said. To be old and wise You need to be young and stupid) on this forum and went to the collage And I must say it was a good decision. I could call myself a lucky one as I have found an employment on commercial site and I have been working there for the last 4 months and I am enjoying of every moment out there. My supervisor said that I am working as I had a 2 years of experience in the industry, which build up my confidence. I even got a pay rise. So things are going really well.
so what qualifications do you hold to date?

I've been in this game for 24 years, not much i havn't covered yet new systems and regs coming out all the time!
Even IF you could get a piece of paper saying your an electrician, sorry to sat it but you wouldn't be an ELECTRICIAN for years.

I've been in this game for 24 years, not much i havn't covered yet new systems and regs coming out all the time!
Even IF you could get a piece of paper saying your an electrician, sorry to sat it but you wouldn't be an ELECTRICIAN for years.
Without commitment and desire to be successful what's the point to wake up early in the morning for another days of struggles. I choose this path to be able to provide professional service at every step of my way to be called an Electrician.

Reply to New trainee. Is 4 month training realistic to get qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net