Discuss New Water meter tripping circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Bit of a head scratcher.... Haven't done any testing yet but thought I'd see if anyone else had come across this...

A client of mine has just had Water meter installed at the front of their drive by the Water Board. Now, a 32A breaker for their power ring is tripping. Not sure how the water board have tapped into their supply but is from adjacent to the meter rather than coming from the board.

Have done a few basic things such as unplugging all appliances just to make sure its not a coincidence. Will call their water supplier tomorrow to ask exactly what they have done and may try changing the breaker as an initial check.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar??

Thanks

Not as far as I could initially see?
Going back tomorrow so will be able to do some proper investigating and checks.

They have dug up a patch (and filled in) at the end of their drive. Client says they needed to tap into the supply. But no evidence of any activity at the fuse box. Surely, they wouldn't tap into the pre-meter side of their electric supply. Only sketchy info from client so will get a better picture when I speak to the water board tomorrow.

They have dug up a patch (and filled in) at the end of their drive. Client says they needed to tap into the supply. But no evidence of any activity at the fuse box. Surely, they wouldn't tap into the pre-meter side of their electric supply. Only sketchy info from client so will get a better picture when I speak to the water board tomorrow.

Never heard of a water meter needing an electricity supply

They won't have been anywhere near the electric supply, they will have installed it in the water supply. The clue is in the name 'water meter'

As @dmxtothemax says, the new ones meters are plastic. So other than possibly interrupting an inappropriate circuit through their pipework it can't be that. Perhaps loop test installation earth and confirm all is well ?

A client of mine has just had Water meter installed at the front of their drive by the Water Board. Now, a 32A breaker for their power ring is tripping. Not sure how the water board have tapped into their supply but is from adjacent to the meter rather than coming from the board.
Thanks

If a 32A MCB is tripping then it is time for some basic testing, regardless of what has been done. And I wouldn't just change it and see what happens.

They have tapped in to water supply...They could have broken your earth connection.In olden times water pipes were used as the earth..No longer permitted due to non metallic sections in use..I doubt if this could cause red issues but it is something you should check and rectify if necessary

If there was a small earth current before, that was being bleed off thru the metal pipes to ground ? Now without that path to bleed off, then there would be an imbalance which the RCD is detecting. Just a theory, but worth checking !

Reply to New Water meter tripping circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net