Discuss Newbie after advice how to install dimmer switch in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello peepz
Im new so howdi to all sparkies and experts in ere, keep up the good work.
I want to tackle swapping a single light switch in my kids bedroom from standard switch to dimmer switch. I bought a dimmer switch, 25m back box and a dimmer led light bulb. All the videos ive seen and forums ive read, the brown or red live wire goes in the centre common terminal and the neutral black or blue wire goes in L1. Is this correct?
Now what has thrown me is the wiring instructions with the dimmer switch give contradicing information? Looks like live going in L2 and neutral in common terminal, this cant be right? See attached picture.
Pls advise thankz Ice

Newbie after advice how to install dimmer switch 20190104_202856 - EletriciansForums.net

If you only have two wires at your switch both are live so connect one to Com and the other to one of the L terminals, doesn't matter which way round as long as one is in Com. Can you show a pic of the wires at the switch to confirm.

Ok. For a start, you don’t have a neutral connected to a switch. If there’s a blue, or a black it should be sleeved with brown or red to distinguish it as a switched live.

Is there only 2 wires at the switch? A photograph of the existing switches connections would be handy.

One wire goes to com, the other goes to either L1 or L2.

Please isolate the circuit at the consumer unit before unscrewing the switch from the wall.

Just a little note.
Just because an LED lamp says it’s dimmable, it may not be with a rotary style dimmer switch.

U guys are great help
This question gets asked about 20 times a week, so it's easy meat.
The fun really starts with a three phase question, or how to wire a DOL starter for a pump, or when a plasterer removes something and doesn't mark the wires first.....:D.

But seriously, if you didnt get a dimmer that is specifically for LEDs, then you may have problems.

Then you are ok for that load.
Please don’t get confused by this
15w equates to 100w output but not 100w load. ?

Lamp manufacturers state something like this to give your average punter some idea of the equivalent light output. What they mean that the light output of their 15w LED lamp is similar to what you might be expecting from one of the old style 100w bulbs.

To try and get away from this comparison, lamps are quoted as LUMENS. This is the amount of light output.
This is better, because the LUMEN output of a 15watt warm white LED lamp is vastly different to the LUMEN output of a 15watt cool white LED lamp.

Reply to Newbie after advice how to install dimmer switch in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock