• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Newbie joining the trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all..

Im Rabbit (Ryan on a sunday :rolleyes:) and from the almighty central Scotland lol

Currently a sparkys mate with 7 months on the tools (with my mate funnily enough lol) but going for my apprenticeship in the form of an adult learning course at night after june, just missed out on college intake and turning 26 now hasn't helped :oops:..

formely a high pressure jetting operator (glorified high pressure drain cleaner haha) and decided to have a total career change after walking out my job! Loved that job but really enjoying rewiring kitchens and bathrooms for the local council aswell as other various private jobs we get. However I am struggling to figure out how to put a portfolio together of the installs, wiring etc I am doing. My boss is keen for me to take pictures and jot down notes to help me remember and build my portfolio but its been a while since he had to make one lol.

Hints and tips are appreciated on how to make a portfolio are appreciated haha

Thats all the rabbling from me for now lol :p

will you be doing the main nvq level 3 with AM2 or just the domestic NVQ2 to join the schemes. If you are doing it with a training provider be that the college or somebody else they normally give you the portfolio and its self explanatory about what to put inside. if you havent signed up yet then have a word with the forum sponsor XSTRAINING they might be able to help

will you be doing the main nvq level 3 with AM2 or just the domestic NVQ2 to join the schemes. If you are doing it with a training provider be that the college or somebody else they normally give you the portfolio and its self explanatory about what to put inside. if you havent signed up yet then have a word with the forum sponsor XSTRAINING they might be able to help

Will be doing nvq 2 then onto nvq 3 in about 2 years if ive understood the fella correctltly.

As for the portfolio, im just looking to get everything im doing just now built up as its a theory type course rather than practical so everything ill be doing is on site practical training with my boss.

Welcome to the forum rabbit!

Congratulations on the apprenticeship course and successfully changing career, it's not easy! I also changed career to become an electrician so I know first-hand how hard it can be.

Regarding the portfolio, I personally chose to study the City & Guilds 2365 course full-time (basically all the knowledge-units of the NVQ) which I can later convert over to the NVQ providing the practical work has been achieved. While I have indeed completed this course, I've not yet started the portfolio or AM2, primarily due to unstable work.

However, a friend of mine who's recently completed the full NVQ gave me some advice on the portfolio which I can share:
  • The portfolio asks you to provide evidence of yourself installing a number of different wiring / containment systems. Each example of a different system will be a 'piece' of your portfolio.
  • Take lots of photos before, during, and after the work to show your progress.
  • Include your face in all of your photos, to prove the work shown is your own.
  • Include specific details of the work (such as time & date, location, company, client, etc).
  • Compile your photos (with detailed explanations) into a document with a step-by-step explanation.
  • Conclude by evaluating yourself, for example:- What went well? What didn't go so well? Problems you encountered and how you overcame them? What did you learn? What will you change / improve-on next time?

Reply to Newbie joining the trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back