Discuss Newbie looking - advice on finding work in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm new to this site and also electrics. Decided to take the giant step to retraining as an electrician from 20 years of sales and have gained my Part P, 17 the Edition, PAT testing, 2392/94/95 inspection and testing and booked in for an electro-technical design course over the next year.

I'd like to find out how to approach this new sector regarding looking for work or if there's anyone in South Wales looking to employ or offer work. Have been looking for work for a few weeks now and seem to find it somewhat puzzling. Which came first, chicken or the egg? with reference to work v experience - it's a minefield (just like sales)

Agencies aren't very helpful so can anyone advise of a more productive way to get work on an employed basis - electrician or mate work.

I can see there's a lot of experienced people in the UK - where did all the talk from the government come from regarding a skill shortage? Clearly there isn't one.

Cheers

Joel

Hi Joel. Sorry mate, you won't get employed as an electrician with those qualifications as you don't have a foundation qualification or NVQ3. The training companies miss-sell these add on quals as the full ticket. You might get a spot as a Electricians Mate on agency, that's what I would now push for in your position to gain experience, at the same time sign up to 2365 with local college. You quals you have gained will not be wasted and will supplement your foundation quals. With regard to skills shortage, you are right, there aint one, well not for general electricians anyway. All the best mate.

Last edited:
what he said ^^^^^. you will need a cscs card or ecs card to get on most sites.

Joel PM me your details, we are in South Wales and are always looking for extra hands, as mentioned there's a few bits missing for a fully qualified spark position, but there may be other things available...

Reply to Newbie looking - advice on finding work in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net