Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Newbie looking to get into an electrical career in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

hi guys

I'm about to sign up to a few courses to be qualified to become a domestic installer. I am doing one of those crash courses. after passing would like some advice for my next step all being well that I pass that is?

Am I in a stronger position to be taken on as a mate or improver if I pass all that needed? certainly realise I wouldn't be ready to work on my own just from a electrical course overload although I do have experience fitting cctv ect.

Please don't post to knock doing a quick course, I realise I won't be an electrician or have the experience. researching seen alot of 'real' electritians advising how rubbish that route is or how it's taking work off real Leckies.

cheers

John

2. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Nice to see you iave read and taken on board advice given to you regarding these course. Why not get a job now as a mate while doing or before you start the course so you have a better understanding once you get in th class room?

What do you want from being a electrician? Most people who do these courses are sold on false information that you will be earning in excess of £60k once qualified which a load of non sense. What sort of money sre you earning now if you dont mind?

Not wanting you put you off but its not completly paved with gold once you are qualified

3. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

I'm looking to eventually do my own thing. I want to do security products and be able to also do domestic electrical work. basically just need to be able to offer as many services as I can. I am looking to get some work in the In the industry as soon as I can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

I am seriously thinking about jacking it in TBH, what is the point of me now working my ass off revising silly amount of hours each day and 2 and half years at college, restless nights before exams when I can go on one of these courses and be qualified on paper in a matter of weeks.

Sometimes I say to myself is it all really worth it.

5. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

I'm of an age where I can't go down the college route due to circumstances. doing a course in a few months isn't going to be a cake walk either, I'm looking to get it all on paper by working my ass off too while holding down a full time job with a family to raise also. people have a different path in thier lives and I can't afford to go to college full time. I don't see what wrong with getting the paperwork first and the experience afterwards.

6. tlangdon12

tlangdon12 Regular EF Member

I'm not a qualified electrician, but offer the following advice in the hope it is useful, and in case you don't get much encouragement from the other members...

I have checked the information below, but would encourage you to double-check everything!

If you want to work for yourself, your next steps should be:

1) Make sure that your course will be accepted by a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) , unless you are prepared to pay for building control or a third-party (if you can find one) to inspect your notifiable work for the first two years of trading. Don't take the course provider's word for it; check with the schemes.

If the course is not accepted by any scheme, you can still do the course and it will provide valuable training, but on its own it will not allow you to notify work yourself, so you need to figure out how to complete enough notifiable work to be accepted by a CPS when you meet their other requirements.

2) Setup in business. Make sure you have the insurance you need, and systems in places to quote for work , invoice customers, calculate profit and loss (and retain records of certifications when you are able to join a CPS). You will need a range of tools (including those required for testing, as set out the document below, and for safe isolation), documents (also set out in the document below), transport + suitable insurance for transport (and tools if you want) and membership of your CPS, plus EIC, MWC and Testing forms.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ata/file/294483/3rd_Party_Cert_Scheme_MTC.pdf
    3) Make sure you are clear what you don't know - study the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and the OSG, and set money aside as soon as you start to complete a course on the wiring regs at the earliest opportunity. Once this is done, complete a Testing & Verification qualification; C&G 2392 as a minimum, but ideally 2391-50. Even as a Domestic Installer, you need to comply with the regulations, so you need to know what they are, and you need to be able to test and verify your work adequately. Basically, you need to put in place a professional development plan that recognises you are starting from a low base of knowledge. Your development plan should be created to ensure that you can join a CPS asap. Always be very careful about the scope of work you undertake to make sure that it is clearly within your capabilities. You (and your insurer) need to be able to defend your work and actions in court. Use the resources of the internet, this forum, and your CPS (if you are able to join one) to the greatest possible extent to check anything you are unsure of.

You will need a thick skin to be self-employed, and this will help with folks on the forum who have spent their time and money to learn the trade.

Best of luck

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    What course are you going to do may I ask?

8. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

EAL 600/7695/1 level 3- Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
    · 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382)
    · Building Regulations (2393)

Fundamental Inspection & Testing (2392) level 2

2301-52 Combined Periodic & Initial Verification Inspection & Testing ( Level 3)

9. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Have you looked into 2365 C&G?
    I think what you are looking at is viable in terms of entering as a domistic installer technically. Have you worked out that you only want to work in domestic? Is that a package course from EAL?

10. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

EAL 600/7695/1 level 3- Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
    · 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382)
    · Building Regulations (2393)

yeah only want to stick to domestic work I think. it's a package from a local training provider.eal seems to have a decent name.

11. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yeh I agree they do. There are five defined routes into being an electrician set by EAS. There is NO other way to becoming and electrician in any form or sense of the meaning. Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp this link describes them. So it sounds like at least you are not wasting your money. Many people will dislike this but C&G is often preferred to EAL qualifications. (Full metal jacket on) I was just concerned you might be one more on here who has spent money and will not be qualified to be an electrician. Information if very poor out there and misleading especially from training providers. It may be wise to check with a CPS body if they will accept the qualies you are contemplating before parting with your money.

12. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

thanks for the info, appreciate it.

13. achilles12

achilles12 EF Member

cheers, thank you for the time to give me some advise. I have found there seem to be many routes into the industry and you do have to be careful of some training providers.