Discuss Newbie question cannot get fuse out of fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rupesjoel

Dear All,

I need to change the fuse in a standard household Ashley fusebox but I cannot pull the fuse out, no matter how hard I try. The fuse looks a like a standard cartridge type fuse(16 A MCB16).

There is a small key in the lid of the fusebox which looks like a paper clip opened out, but I cannot work out how to use that. I would post a photo of the fusebox but I cannot on this forum yet.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rupes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 248
are you in australia? if you think those are fuses then it's time to stop before you kill yourself.

Fuse no.4 controls the hot water and with it flicked back on the hot water cylinder remains off. I assume that the Ho****er flicked the fuse off and blew it at the same time.

sounds like you have a faulty immersion heater. call in a qualified spareks to fix it. i'm out.

I am in Westminster and am a tenant in my flat. The landlord has just paid a lot of money for Pimlico Plumbers to fix the shower which had a broken relay so if this was an easy fix I was trying to do it myself.
Thanks,

Dear All,

I need to change the fuse in a standard household Ashley fusebox but I cannot pull the fuse out, no matter how hard I try. The fuse looks a like a standard cartridge type fuse(16 A MCB16).

There is a small key in the lid of the fusebox which looks like a paper clip opened out, but I cannot work out how to use that. I would post a photo of the fusebox but I cannot on this forum yet.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rupes

My God, what next

thanks for taking the advice. this is your landlord's problem and he should sort it out. it's up to you whether you want to pay for it yourself ( be around £70 -£120 if it's a new element required ) or to contact the landlord and get him to pay for it.

bloody 'ell. think i'll relocate. and wtf is 12am? 12 is either noon or midnight. it's not before or after 12, it is 12.

bloody 'ell. think i'll relocate. and wtf is 12am? 12 is either noon or midnight. it's not before or after 12, it is 12.

Actually it's not!! 12am is midnight denoting going into the am hours and 12pm is midday denoting going into the pm hours. You need to distinguish the two when working on a 12 hour clock. Whereas 1200 hrs and 2400 hrs is self explanatory!! lol!!! Just couldn't resist!!:angel_smile:

agree it is going into those hours. 12.00.01 is am or pm, but 12.00.00 is noon or midnight.

The 'm' refers to the meridian i.e. noon.

Therefore 12 mid-day is neither before (a) nor after (p) 'm' and

12 midnight is both 12am and 12pm.

Yeah but by the time you say it, it's afternoon (after 12.00 = noon). Unless of course you say, at the 3rd pip, the time according to ME will be 12 mid day, pip pip pip.

Whilst we are all raising our hands in horror at the OP's lack of (safe) knowledge, this does remind me of an incident in my first teaching post, where the (apparently) well experienced and qualified Network Manager made exactly the same error and was found, by a thankfully better informed woodwork teacher, trying to use a plain steel cold chisel to prise out a 32A MCB from a metal clad 3 phase dist board, which was live and, quote the said person "could not be isolated as it powers the servers".
if a supposedly technically qualified IT "expert" can make such lethal and crass mistakes there's no wonder the OP did!

Reply to Newbie question cannot get fuse out of fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net