Discuss Newbie: stuck fitting a new ceiling rose in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Debs

-
DIY
Reaction score
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3620.JPG
Hello everyone,
Just came across this forum looking online for help with what I thought would be a simple job and has now turned into a nightmare. I'm fitting a new ceiling rose and I'm confused with the wiring - esp. the loop part. In essence how do I get these wires in the right places on this fitting below?! I get the live and neutral part but it's the loop that's thrown me....

The problem is you have now taken the old one off and it is impossible to say which ones are the loop and switch. I agree with #2 that it looks like aluminium conductors and you need to contact an electrician. Those terminals at your new rose are likely to just break the aluminium as they are not suitable for aluminium wires.

Must be the doubled over black as the switch live.
Come across tinned copper from time to time but never aluminium conductors.

a pp3 battery, bulb and a bit of wire to ID the switch wire. job's good (till the ali conductors snap off.

Off topic, but for the purposes of my education, are these aluminium conductors?
I was aware tinned copper has been used in cables but didn't realise aluminium was ever used in small CSA/domestic cables.

They certainly look like they are. Back in the seventies when the price of copper shot up some manufacturers, BICC being one of them produced copperclad aluminium T&E generally in solid core 1.5 and stranded 4.0 sizes. It was copperclad to prevent the aluminium from oxidizing and can easily be mistaken for copper, the give away being it breaks very easily when connected at tunnel terminals for which it isn't really suitable. The OPs is quite unusual as it is not copperclad and the certainty it is not tinned copper is that there is no copper showing where it has been damaged through termination.

This is a piece of copperclad aluminium T&E and I have scratched the red to reveal the aluminium but it isn't very clear. It was made by fitting an aluminium bar into a copper tube and stretching it.
20170916_191447.jpg

When a mate calls you up to let you know that his lights aren't working and can you help him out you ask "have you done anything" the answer is "noooooo" when you turn up you notice a new light fitting in the front room, you know where this is leading...........

Just a guess but id be likely to say the black wire on the left most of image folded back on its end is switched live. if you look at the image there is what appears to be a black mark a different shade from the insulation on it, possibly pen marking, or glue residue from tape etc...

never mind about the colours of the cables. what about the putrid pink curtain/s? :mad:

Reply to Newbie: stuck fitting a new ceiling rose in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net