• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Newbie to the forum, please be gentle..... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fitzy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

My names Dave (Fitzy), been lurking on forum for a while, reading as many posts as I could to gauge how you all interact etc. Some of you will hate me because I done a 4 week course with Trade Skills 4 U to become a domestic installer. I know I have a huge learning curve to overcome to gain experience, but I’m willing to learn and I always embrace criticism, good or bad, it’s what defines us. So please be gentle with me, I will be asking questions, but only if I can’t find the right answer using the search facility.

suggest you try subbing for a local sparks as a mate before you take the step of going full self-employed.

1. to gain practical experience,
2.doing this saves you from the hassle of pricing, quoting, etc., till you have got a feel for it.

Welcome @Fitzy, what did you do before the training?

I’ve got a full time job working shifts at Gatwick Airport, so have plenty of days off, so electrics is just gonna be a sideline to begin with on my days off, then maybe go part time at work (if the electrical side allows me to), then maybe go full time sparky, but all that is years away yet, got a lot of experience to gain yet,not gonna run before I can walk.

My nieces partner has his own building firm doing extensions, kitchen refurbs etc, so he’s gonna pass some work my way (posting a question about this in main forum later).

Welcome Fitzy, enjoy the intelligence and experience that oozes from the members.

like that expanding foam that i had to use yesterday to stick a back box in. client pushing to get job done. plasterboard still damp from skim, board collapsed when dry ling box fitted. ( and that's only a minor thing. bloody plasterer blocking stairwell with his planks and ladders. can't get up or down, and the pillock wants to board and skim before my cables have gone in, save him having to come back another day and spread his muck when he was supposed to do.

tractors make good ram raiders. they still run after the crash.

like that expanding foam that i had to use yesterday to stick a back box in. client pushing to get job done. plasterboard still damp from skim, board collapsed when dry ling box fitted. ( and that's only a minor thing. bloody plasterer blocking stairwell with his planks and ladders. can't get up or down, and the pillock wants to board and skim before my cables have gone in, save him having to come back another day and spread his muck when he was supposed to do.
I had to fit a 6mm in 40x25 trunking in the 4 inches beside a utility kitchen cabinet fitted. I attached it with 3 double backed pieces of gaffer tape whilst the acrylic glue took - held that all in place whilst it cured with a toilet roll squeezed in and told the customer to only use that roll when needed!
I’m back on Monday and I’ll check my fixing strength.
The things we sometimes have to do to get the job done!

I had to fit a 6mm in 40x25 trunking in the 4 inches beside a utility kitchen cabinet fitted. I attached it with 3 double backed pieces of gaffer tape whilst the acrylic glue took - held that all in place whilst it cured with a toilet roll squeezed in and told the customer to only use that roll when needed!
I’m back on Monday and I’ll check my fixing strength.
The things we sometimes have to do to get the job done!
Please explain 40x25 trunking, double backed tape and toilet roll, peaks my interest somewhat.

Reply to Newbie to the forum, please be gentle..... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back