Discuss Newbie - USA Projector 110v~240v in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Maffy

-
Reaction score
Hello

I've just bought a small projector from the USA. In the spec it says power supply is AC110v~240v 50Hz60Hz. Am I correct that i just need a US to UK adapter plug or is a step down voltage converter required?
Just wondering if it may overheat running on 240v for a while or damage it?

I have little electrical knowledge so feedback about my questions would be much appreciated but not about me buying from abroad.

Thanks
Matt

It looks like you could just get an adaptor.
Out of curiosity, can you put a link to the spec.

If that is printed on the proj itself, it will work fine in the UK although may not be approved to our safety standards. If it has a detachable power cable, simply replace with the equivalent UK one, bought from a reputable source.

If the cable isn't detachable then cut the US plug off and fit a UK 13A plug with a 3A fuse. If the wires in the power cable aren't UK standard use black as live and white as neutral, green or green/yellow striped as earth. The adapter plugs are generally very poor quality and cause problems therefore best avoided.

If the cable isn't detachable then cut the US plug off and fit a UK 13A plug with a 3A fuse. If the wires in the power cable aren't UK standard use black as live and white as neutral, green or green/yellow striped as earth. The adapter plugs are generally very poor quality and cause problems therefore best avoided.

I was going to suggest about replacing the US plug with a UK 13A plug in my post #2, but as the OP stated they they have "little electrical knowledge" I thought it safer to exclude it.

Reply to Newbie - USA Projector 110v~240v in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock