Discuss newbie . where to go next in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone. I'm new to electrics as I'm retraining . I am almost done with my part p and 17th but what else will I need to progress further. any advice greatly received

Experience which no course alone will give you. Im assuming you are going down the fast track Domestic installer route?
You also need some solid testing qualifications 2392 is the beginning but then you need to be getting your 2391 as thats the benchmark and shows you can test. Again it comes down to experience.
ideally you would do your level 2 and 3 2365 courses.

thanks for advice . I am under no impression it is going to be a 2 second thing . yes I am doing a fast track course but only because I think it is the only way I stand a chance to join a company as a sparky mate and work my way up . I appreciate that the trade takes years to learn and is something you need to constantly work on

all good for you ,if I had my time again .I would be a heating engineer .
a wet pants has they say. less hassle no calculations just run the pipe in .their is a lot of pressure on us sparks .for little monies .

always enjoyed working with the sparks at work so know how it's a never stop learning occupation . plumbers are definitely the ones that charge our company the most

thanks for advice . I am under no impression it is going to be a 2 second thing . yes I am doing a fast track course but only because I think it is the only way I stand a chance to join a company as a sparky mate and work my way up . I appreciate that the trade takes years to learn and is something you need to constantly work on

To work your way up you need qualifications if you are going down that road.

It sounds like you want to eventually work for company, that said company will most probably have commercial/industrial work or has contracts with the big boys like Wimpy, Hopkins homes etc.

Unfortunately the 17th edition and knowing the Part P building regs wont allow you take on any electrical work on these jobs whether you have 10yrs experience or not.

If you want to go down the route on becoming an electrician who can install electrical equipment on these type of jobs then you will need to take your level 2 then your level 3 2365 then you will have to complete your portfolio for the level 3 NVQ then to your AM2.

Nothing wrong with getting a trainee card if you work for a company that does this work but eventually to work your way up you will need the above if you want electrician JIB status.

If you want to work just on domestic then ignore the above but I would advise doing the level 2 and level 3 and testing qualifications as you will be very shocked how these short course leave out the important fundamental's on becoming an electrician.

best of luck

Do I have to do all that experience stuff !
I know every thing now
Why carn't I just go to all the juicy high paying gigs ?
Don't think I said that . read it again I am after advice and want to gain experience . I respect the trade but don't see why some people have to be cocky and act like they are better than others. I take it you were born a spark and never started at the bottom . what a legend

To work your way up you need qualifications if you are going down that road.

It sounds like you want to eventually work for company, that said company will most probably have commercial/industrial work or has contracts with the big boys like Wimpy, Hopkins homes etc.

Unfortunately the 17th edition and knowing the Part P building regs wont allow you take on any electrical work on these jobs whether you have 10yrs experience or not.

If you want to go down the route on becoming an electrician who can install electrical equipment on these type of jobs then you will need to take your level 2 then your level 3 2365 then you will have to complete your portfolio for the level 3 NVQ then to your AM2.

Nothing wrong with getting a trainee card if you work for a company that does this work but eventually to work your way up you will need the above if you want electrician JIB status.

If you want to work just on domestic then ignore the above but I would advise doing the level 2 and level 3 and testing qualifications as you will be very shocked how these short course leave out the important fundamental's on becoming an electrician.

best of luck
Thank you for all the advice. yeah I am realising they just skip over things which is gutting because it has cost me a few grand

Don't think I said that . read it again I am after advice and want to gain experience . I respect the trade but don't see why some people have to be cocky and act like they are better than others. I take it you were born a spark and never started at the bottom . what a legend
he was joking. just a bit of upside down banter

from a land with more sheep than men, so they don't need to accept an ugly one.:D:D:D.

Thank you for all the advice. yeah I am realising they just skip over things which is gutting because it has cost me a few grand

Yes the courses you mention Leone will purely be for those who want a quick route in to working in the domestic field and eventually sign up with one of the CPS schemes.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever unless of course you want to go down the other route, where you said working your way up which is getting the gold card electrician status as I mentioned in the above post you will need all your levels and portfolios which unfortunately if you have already spent a few thousand it will cost you a hell of a lot more to do these.

Yes the courses you mention Leone will purely be for those who want a quick route in to working in the domestic field and eventually sign up with one of the CPS schemes.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever unless of course you want to go down the other route, where you said working your way up which is getting the gold card electrician status as I mentioned in the above post you will need all your levels and portfolios which unfortunately if you have already spent a few thousand it will cost you a hell of a lot more to do these.
I was looking more at domestic but still don't want to rush into it as there is so much to learn. wish I found this site before I would of put the money into a more in depth course. so it looks like I got a good few more grand to spend yet. thanks for all you great advice it is truly appreciated

I was looking more at domestic but still don't want to rush into it as there is so much to learn. wish I found this site before I would of put the money into a more in depth course. so it looks like I got a good few more grand to spend yet. thanks for all you great advice it is truly appreciated

also does anyone use stroma as I was told they are quite good . just asking to get diffent opinions not ready to to sign up to a scheme for quite a while but I find it best to get as much info as you can from early on

When I was looking for a scheme to join I got in touch with all those that I could. After several weeks of chats, some useless info and some pest calls every day I eventually went for Stroma. The guy I was speaking with over the course of around 10 weeks was patient, not pushy and waited for me to call with the final decision.
There is of course the financial incentive, Stroma cost me £288 for my first year as apposed to almost double that elsewhere (No names mentioned).

When I was looking for a scheme to join I got in touch with all those that I could. After several weeks of chats, some useless info and some pest calls every day I eventually went for Stroma. The guy I was speaking with over the course of around 10 weeks was patient, not pushy and waited for me to call with the final decision.
There is of course the financial incentive, Stroma cost me £288 for my first year as apposed to almost double that elsewhere (No names mentioned).
Thanks for the response. I think I will go with them . like you say they are so much cheaper for what looks like the same service .

Reply to newbie . where to go next in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net