Discuss Newbie would like to know more about electrics starting with why is my dimmer connected up wrong? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rubrage

Hi forum,

I do have a genuine interest with electronics and have successfully installed a dimmer and replaced a light fitting or 2 oh and changed multiple light bulbs!

My latest project is a big one a dimmer switch and light fitting! the existing light and dimmer has been up for 10 years with no problem. I have bought a nice new fitting and new switch to replace them.

I took the existing dimmer off the wall and noticed it was wired differently, the red was going to L1 and the black going to C. I then took the light down and notice 3 grey cables with all reds bunched together in a plastic block, all the earths twisted together (just the wires), and 2 blacks going to one side of a plastic block to the blue cable of fitting, and the other black going to the other side of the block to the brown cable of the fitting.

Shall I keep the wiring the same? the only difference is the new fitting is metal so I'll need to hook up the earths. Also why has the geeza who installed it done the dimmer switch in reverse?

Cheers

View attachment 36055

keep the wiring at the light as is, apart from sorting out those earths. the black that connects to the brown of the light flex is a switched L and should be sleeved red. as for the switch, i'd put the red in C and the black ( with some red sleeve or tape on it) to L1. oh, and untwist those earths. if necessary terminate into a block and take a single conductor to your new fitting terminal. as usual, there's very little scope in a new fitting for all those connections, so a MF joint box with MF connectors above the ceiling is a good idea, with just a single piece of 1.0mm T/E coming out to the fitting. buy a foot of earth sleeving as well.

Cheers Telectrix, I'll follow your advice and let you know how it goes. I am a slow worker so maybe some time. So I presume the guy I got in 10 years ago was a 'cowboy', unless this was the standard 10 years ago?

R.A.F. ( rough as f**k).

this is my idea of terminating to a light fitting.

Newbie would like to know more about electrics starting with why is my dimmer connected up wrong? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

connect and poke it up into the ceiling.

As above whatever you do don't leave those block connectors exposed in the ceiling cavity.

Good advice there from Telectrix, I see some amount of R.A.F. work when changing fittings for people, usually they've been done by odd job Bob.

Reply to Newbie would like to know more about electrics starting with why is my dimmer connected up wrong? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock