Discuss Newlec starter switch wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

I have just bought second had elderly lathe off eBay.co.uk. It is fitted with a single phase motor and all works OK except the red "off" button on the Newlec starter switch does not function. I would like to rectify this. It is wired up with the live feed into T1 connection. I am wondering if the previous owner wired it up wrong.

Can anybody supply a wiring diagram please?

I will try and upload a picture of the inside of the switch.

Thanks in advance.

Newlec starter switch wiring IMG_0518 (1) - EletriciansForums.net

The red button you talk of, is this button on the lid of the starter?

Its hard to make out but the wiring seems wrong to me, where does the wires that enter 95 and 96 come from?

it's just possible that the lathe originally had a 3 phase motor and someone has replaced with a single phase unit, making a cock-up of modifying the starter. the label seems to indicate 400V for the control circuit.

If as mentioned the contactor coil is 400v then you cannot correct what is a mess up of the wiring, if however the coil is 230/240v ac then its just a matter of altering the wiring, be very careful here, the purple wire is taken of the live side of the isolating switch and can be dangerous if you are unsure of what you are doing here, ensure you have disconnected the whole unit further upstream and not just by the rotary switch on the front.

So to recap -
-The wiring is totally wrong, the overload won't cut the power if it operated and explains why the stop doesn't work.
-The coil on the contactor is possibly the wrong rating
-The wiring poses a hazard if not isolated properly upstream of the unit

If as mentioned the contactor coil is 400v then you cannot correct what is a mess up of the wiring, if however the coil is 230/240v ac then its just a matter of altering the wiring, be very careful here, the purple wire is taken of the live side of the isolating switch and can be dangerous if you are unsure of what you are doing here, ensure you have disconnected the whole unit further upstream and not just by the rotary switch on the front.

So to recap -
-The wiring is totally wrong, the overload won't cut the power if it operated and explains why the stop doesn't work.
-The coil on the contactor is possibly the wrong rating
-The wiring poses a hazard if not isolated properly upstream of the unit
Very many thanks Darkwood. I think Telectrix said it all, for the cost, buy a new unit and bin the old one. It's not worth the risk.

Thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate I wouldn't buy a new unit if the coil is 230V - 240V which I suspect it is as I'm pretty sure I've used that model on single phase before. If the coil has the correct voltage then all you need to do is connect it up correctly and it should work. As darkwood says isolate upstream due to that silly purple cable.

5his is for a 3 phase starter, but can be used on single phase using 2 of the poles for L and N.

Newlec starter switch wiring direct-online-starter-dol - EletriciansForums.net

ignore the remote stops in above. the yellow wire would go to N if you have a 240V coil.

Mate I wouldn't buy a new unit if the coil is 230V - 240V which I suspect it is as I'm pretty sure I've used that model on single phase before. If the coil has the correct voltage then all you need to do is connect it up correctly and it should work. As darkwood says isolate upstream due to that silly purple cable.
Thanks Sintra, I take your point which brings me back to my original question, how do I find a wiring diagram to start from scratch.

How did we all manage before the internet?

we had more time to work it out with those funny obsolete tools called pencils.

What size motor is the starter protecting? looks like the purple wire is a short to remove the overload contacts from the circuit. Possibly the overload was set too weak or it has failed. The coil voltage is usually written on the coil of this unit.
IE The motor has overloaded and the overload would not reset or it was set too low causing constant overloading. Therefore somebody "fixed it" in a dangerous way by adding the purple link.
Please check the motor size to see what the full load amps are or post a photo of the plate.

ps did you notice the nipped cable?

Newlec starter switch wiring dol - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Newlec starter switch wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock