Discuss NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The NHS has just published a safety alert about socket covers which requires them to be removed from all NHS premises!

It says: "This Alert is issued to highlight how, in certain circumstances, the use of plastic 13A (13 amp) electrical socket inserts (sold as safety accessories) can overcome the safety features designed into socket outlets.13A electrical socket inserts should not be used in health or social care premises, nor supplied for use in a home or residence. Any socket inserts currently in use should be withdrawn from use and responsibly disposed of."

There is a full explanation here.

Yeah we have been issued with this warning. We have these at various places thoughout the hospital. Our children's ward are asking for a alternative solution.

Yeah we have been issued with this warning. We have these at various places thoughout the hospital. Our children's ward are asking for a alternative solution.

Hi,
I had a go at abusing some MK Logic plus sockets, have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqaU5OlJ4E have a look from 4:00

the alternative is to leave the sockets alone as designed. ensure that RCD protection is in place.

I could not read the full explanation as the page was not displaying (due to browser security at my end). I hope as well as sensibly advising the removal of these things they are getting someone to check each sockets shutter mechanism has not seized up.

Good work FF.

On my father’s instruction I am posting this:

https://www.cas.dh.gov.uk/ViewandAcknowledgment/ViewAlert.aspx?AlertID=102494

The full Department of Health directive and if you follow the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] link it will lead to the PDF where you will find it also applies to OFSTED regulated premises.

martinh287, as NetBlindPaul pointed out. You have no option other than comply with the directive.

Last edited:
There is only one type of socket cover/protector which can make the sockets safer than they are already.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=socket+protector

Sorry it's amazon but these covers lock closed over the the socket stopping anything being plugged in or removed.
I have seen some which can be opened with a magnet or a key.
But as about and many other posts the UK sockets are the safest ever and don't require any intervention to make them safer

Is this a wind up or something, no offence LED. I can only assume the reason to lock up a socket, is to stop people pinching your electricity!

Hi,
I had a go at abusing some MK Logic plus sockets, have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqaU5OlJ4E have a look from 4:00
It would appear that many sparks here do not like the MK brand. For the reasons given, this is my selling point for using MK socket outlets, in my opinion they are second to none for safety in this regard. Worth the extra pennies.

It would appear that many sparks here do not like the MK brand. For the reasons given, this is my selling point for using MK socket outlets, in my opinion they are second to none for safety in this regard. Worth the extra pennies.

Back in I think the late 80's the NHS actually banned under a HTM the use of MK sockets in all NHS premises as the "new" shutter they used didn't need the earth pin and could be operated by any 2 pin plug, Crabtree then became the preferred brand while MK failed to tackle this known problem for many years, while they have now fixed the problem (not sure when) there are many more manufacturers in the marketplace to chose from now and having made such a poor modification with safety issues to their sockets back then MK has lost the trust they had with a lot of sparks who have moved on to other brands

Is this a wind up or something, no offence LED. I can only assume the reason to lock up a socket, is to stop people pinching your electricity!
A good reason might be to stop a kid plugging an appliance that could be dangerous (to them) into a socket. The usual example is a portable fan heater: might get a burn, or covered over with a pile of clothes causing a fire.

It's generally easier to just do a mental risk assessment and just store stuff like that out of reach if it's potentially gonna be a problem.

can also be used to stop anyone unplugging an appliance e.g. a computer.

Does this mean these horrible things are going to be removed from those Bounty boxes the NHS hand out to new mothers as well, it would be a bit hypocritical if they don't

Last edited:
Back in I think the late 80's the NHS actually banned under a HTM the use of MK sockets in all NHS premises as the "new" shutter they used didn't need the earth pin and could be operated by any 2 pin plug, Crabtree then became the preferred brand while MK failed to tackle this known problem for many years, while they have now fixed the problem (not sure when) there are many more manufacturers in the marketplace to chose from now and having made such a poor modification with safety issues to their sockets back then MK has lost the trust they had with a lot of sparks who have moved on to other brands

The thing with that is that the two live pins actuating mechanism is valid under BS1363 and always has been, however, the pins must be rectangular and, compliant with BS1363 themselves, thus it is impossible ti open them with a round pin "euro" plug.
This is one of the issues with "socket protectors" they don't have to be designed to the pin dimensions of BS1363.

From what I can gather this directive is legally binding for all NHS premises in the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I've pinned this thread for now to get it better attention.

From what I can gather this directive is legally binding for all NHS premises in the UK (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I've pinned this thread for now to get it better attention.

You are correct Marvo, it is legally binding for all NHS premises throughout the whole of the NHS estate in the UK.
This will also have further ramifications.
Thank goodness.

Reply to NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock