Discuss NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have emailed OFSTED the NHS alert link yesterday and asked if they have a similar alert. When I get a reply I will post it.

Afaik ofsted have had a neutral stance on these for a few years now. They did insist on their use at one point though.

Afaik ofsted have had a neutral stance on these for a few years now. They did insist on their use at one point though.

Lets see what they say when they read the NHS alert. See if they still sit on the fence... I can't see how they can though.

Just in case anyone else would like to email OFSTED and ask them, below is there email address.
'[email protected]'

I wonder what they would do if they got load of emails asking about the NHS alert and if it also applied to OFSTED a well...

I've started noting it as information on EICRs. I see them in nurserys and schools all the time I also point the caretaker in the direction of you tube if they don't believe me that they are unsafe

I've started noting it as information on EICRs. I see them in nurserys and schools all the time I also point the caretaker in the direction of you tube if they don't believe me that they are unsafe

It's dead easy to give a quick physical demonstration.
My missus doubted me about these things. So I got a voltstick and driver out and showed her the issue. She couldn't believe how flimsy some of the covers are.

To FF. Are you campaigning about the narrowed extension sockets which allow a standard (earth pin of a) plug to be inserted upside down? If not you should do, as these are even easier to open the shutters than the socket protectors in my view.

Last edited:
Any update on this from Ofsted?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Any update on this from Ofsted?

No mate. I have been told that they are not quick about replying to queries. I will bug them again tomorrow if I haven't had a response.

No mate. I have been told that they are not quick about replying to queries. I will bug them again tomorrow if I haven't had a response.

Ofsted were quick enough to have a go at my brother's nursery when a potential customer complained that they weren't using these horrible socket covers, so much for sitting on the fence it had to be pointed out to them that they do just that

I have just emailed them again. We will see how it does. I will keep you all informed.

Ofsted were quick enough to have a go at my brother's nursery when a potential customer complained that they weren't using these horrible socket covers, so much for sitting on the fence it had to be pointed out to them that they do just that

Yes, Ofsted do sit firmly on the fence, not surprising as there will be no one with professional electrical expertise within Ofsted (unlike the NHS). However, the person who had a go at your brother's nursery was ignoring Ofsted policy! Inspectors are NOT allowed to make comments regarding socket covers, I quote:

"Childcare safety issue — electrical socket covers

Some inspectors are continuing to make judgements about risks to children when inspecting childcare settings where the provider has decided not to use electrical socket covers on exposed sockets.

Our position on the use of electrical socket covers has not changed. We neither encourage nor discourage the responsible use of socket covers as part of a risk-assessed approach to electrical safety. In line with the relevant requirements for registration, it is up to each individual registered provider to demonstrate to us that the environment is safe for children and meets legal requirements. It is for the provider to decide, as part of the risk assessment they carry out at their premises, how best to protect children from any dangers associated with electric sockets and appliances.

Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports. If a provider is unsure whether or not to use socket covers and asks our advice, we should refer them to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers and the type of sockets considered as 'safe'."

For the original, please see page 11 of this Ofsted document.

Of course, this does not alter the fact that it is time Ofsted woke up and realised that sitting on the fence is just plain stupid, if they are interested in child welfare then they need to make it clear, just as the NHS has done, that socket covers are completely unacceptable!

Last edited:
Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports. If a provider is unsure whether or not to use socket covers and asks our advice, we should refer them to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers and the type of sockets considered as 'safe'."

Thanks for that.

I have just emailed ROSPA. Told them about the NHS alert and asked what is their policy on the "socket safety covers"

Just got this back from OFSTED.

Thank you for youre-mail.
This isconfirmation your email has been received and will be passed to the appropriateteam.
However should yourequire any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

4 days to say that they have received my email. I wonder how long it will take to tell me what their policy is???

Maybe they sit on the fence when it comes to correspondence also.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Still waiting for info from OFSTED & ROSPA but I did find this quote on a ROSPA site.

Protective Socket Covers for 13-amp Power Outlets RoSPA recommends that all electrical equipment is stored safely away when not in use and children are supervised and warned to keep away from plug socket outlets until they are capable of understanding the risks and are able to use them safely.
13-amp power sockets made to BS 1363 incorporate a shutter mechanism, which prevents inappropriate access to the live connectors. RoSPA therefore does not consider it necessary to recommend the use of socket covers.

Electricity - RoSPA

Non-electrician here, just someone who enjoys reading this forum, but also a parent. My wife bought and fitted these socket covers some time ago for when our now 2 1/2 year old was crawling. I was talking to her only a few days ago about removing them after reading this thread.

Anyway, I pulled one out today to plug something in and it snapped, leaving the 'earth pin' in place and the shutters open.

(Pic taken later, I removed the broken pin straight away with pliers).
bc605e86023a440e0682140e734455a3.jpg

These things are now all going in the bin.

However, these things may have value outside the UK where using the three pin plug. We visit Malaysia frequently and while some sockets seem to be BS1363 with shutters, some newer ones don't seem to have them. Things sold in the shops there have a mixture of UK and two pin European plugs. It's common practice there to force the Euro plug into the three pin socket, so the shutters are probably seen as a nuisance.

There is an evil device I believe used in Malaysia and possibly elsewhere, that looks like a socket cover but has holes where the live and neutral pins would be. It is inserted into the socket to open the shutters, allowing the pins of a europlug to be inserted. With 32A ring circuits not only would it defeat the shutters but also the fuse protection required for the appliance flex, so is doubly dangerous to insert a europlug into a UK outlet by whatever means.

There is an ever-increasing use of socket arrangements, often on adaptors, that are intended to accept many different kinds of plug. They are generally unshuttered, have poorly protected live parts and make poor contact. They are finding their way into the UK through grey-import accessories that do not meet regulations. Most will allow one pin of a plug to be inserted while the others remain exposed. They are now so prevalent that I have to admit to having had to use a few on occasions!

So I got a reply from Ofsted:

Thank you for your email of 04 July 2016 and 07 July 2016. Ihave been asked to respond.

You ask in your email what Ofsted’s policy is on the use ofelectric socket safety covers, and whether we have put out information to alertproviders we regulate of its dangers.

Our position is clear on this matter. We neither recommend norcriticise the use of socket covers by childcare providers. It is theresponsibility of the provider to ensure that premises, environment andequipment are safe and suitable for their purpose. We do not prescribe the wayin which safety measures are to be put in place. There are no specificrequirements in legislation or the early years statutory framework that socketcovers must be placed in electrical sockets.

It is for the provider to decide as part of the risk assessmentthey carry out at their premises how best to protect children from dangersassociated with electric sockets and appliances. Providers may wish to consultthe Royal Society for the Prevention ofAccidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites forinformation to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers.

I hope this clarifies our position on the matter.

Reply to NHS issues safety alert on socket covers requiring removal from NHS premises! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net