Discuss NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Firstly they check your insurance and do an office audit. They then move onto your test equipment and check calibration records. The engineer then will make sure your publications are up to current amendments. He will then ask to review your certs and eicr reports and pick out a couple of jobs to visit. Once there he will have a brief look and ask you to perform certain tests on your install and then compare readings to what you have recorded on your cert. That is about it. Most area engineers don't go to mad they just want a straightforward in and out and move onto the next contractor. It only becomes an issue if you dont keep your stuff in order and basically offer up a dogs dinner of a job or something that ultimately is not safe. But surely you wouldn't even offer up a cert if you thought what you had done was questionable!!

I'm surprised they actually carried out an assessment. The usual trick is tell you they notified you of an appt by post which never got entered onto their system...they then pretend to turn up without you being aware of any such date and then proceed with a surcharge of around £200 for the missed appt.

View attachment 21386

i'll ask you again , punk
do i get the nic approved van stickers or not ?

:-D

edit ; what the hells happened to my pic ? ^^^
its turned into a lettered link ?
will the "admin/mod" responsible please step forward to explain this outrage !

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont mind me asking, what is involved in the assessment?

Any testing etc?
yes...

they look at test instruments...and also how you are keeping track of accuracy of those instruments (checkbox & document)....

public liability is a must (£2,000,000 minimum)...i have £5,000,000 single & 3 phase, commercial & domestic...

- - - Updated - - -

Well done Glenn. As if anyone would think that you would have failed?
Thank you Paul.

Last edited:
Firstly they check your insurance and do an office audit. They then move onto your test equipment and check calibration records. The engineer then will make sure your publications are up to current amendments. He will then ask to review your certs and eicr reports and pick out a couple of jobs to visit. Once there he will have a brief look and ask you to perform certain tests on your install and then compare readings to what you have recorded on your cert. That is about it. Most area engineers don't go to mad they just want a straightforward in and out and move onto the next contractor. It only becomes an issue if you dont keep your stuff in order and basically offer up a dogs dinner of a job or something that ultimately is not safe. But surely you wouldn't even offer up a cert if you thought what you had done was questionable!!
minimum of 5 jobs for approved contractor....
demonstrating the spectrum of all work carried out

minimum of 5 jobs for approved contractor....
demonstrating the spectrum of all work carried out

The 5 jobs is for initial registration. Annual assessment usually is 2. I've had a yearly assessment under the approved scope and never been asked for more than 2 jobs on any one visit and that was on a half day inspection.

Just had assessment:

passed.
Contgrats My friend, it only seems easy because your a proper spark, I can assure you more than half the sparks here would fail an approved contractor assessment, your business should sky rocket now if you push it, Congrats again Glenn.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5 jobs is for initial registration. Annual assessment usually is 2. I've had a yearly assessment under the approved scope and never been asked for more than 2 jobs on any one visit and that was on a half day inspection.
Yes we know that, the 5 jobs are for initial membership. once your in it is a matter of continuing to comply.

Reply to NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net