Discuss NIC April News Letter - Part P Review in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Got this in an NICEIC email today:

NICEIC and ECA have welcomed the Communities and Local Government Select Committee report into Building Regulations.
After hearing evidence from the electrical contracting industry, the Committee says it cannot support deregulation of the building regulations if electrical safety is compromised.

A recent report from the cross party Select Committee, said it had clear evidence to show that deaths and injuries due to electrical faults have decreased since the introduction of the regulations.

We welcome the latest comments and hope the Government takes on board the views of the Committee when it completes its consultation into proposals surrounding the building regulations.

The Committee will now be recommending that all electrical equipment sold in DIY stores carries a health warning that it is illegal for an unregistered person to carry out most electrical works in the home.

In February this year NICEIC CEO, Emma Clancy and ECA CEO, Steve Bratt were among a panel of leading electrical contracting industry figures called in front of the Department of Communities and Local Government (CLG) Select Committee to discuss the case for retaining electrical safety as part of the building regulations.

Anybody else seeing pigs flying past their windows??

Cigarettes carry health warnings, doesn't stop me from smoking.

Until the DIY chains stop selling items that are supposed to be installed by qualified persons there will be no change.

Some DIY'ers do a far better job than many of these Electrical Trainee's (and that's a fact) that these Part Pee scammers have let into this industry with nothing but 17th edition qualifications, ...competent my arse!! So all this crap about Part Pee scammers being the bastions of safety is just another smoke screen cover, to use Part Pee as licence to print money!!

Still it seems we have those here that think they are or should be the electrical police. Were not, and nor should we be!! They aren't going to stop DIY chains from selling electrical items, so get used to it!! It was never a problem before Part Pee scheme providers came on the scene and it isn't a problem now!! Home owners don't owe electricians a livelihood!!

The sooner Part P is scrapped the better. It’s splitting the industry apart. The scheme bodies are torn between profit and looking after it’s members, profit it would seem wins as usual. Supporters are looking to make profit from a hopefully “closed” market.
A monopolised market will find it’s self alienated from the general public due to their god given right to determine the open market price. Suppliers seeing a dwindling market will push the prices up to recoup profits, raising prices across the board. The “sheds” will soon make it public knowledge just who is to blame for restrictive practices.
Electricians, the pariahs of society.

E-bay and Joe from the pub will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I almost sound like a communist, but as a former EEPTU shop steward I can’t be.

I'd only disagree on the bit about providers being torn between profit and members, as i'm sure most here will tell you, any problems between members and customers, these scam artists don't want to know!! That also applies to customers having a bona fide beef about incompetent work carried out by one of there members!! They are purely there to rake in money, they accept nor give any warranty to members or to members customers!!

It is interesting to note that both the NICEIC and ECA ( Both quoted as having given "evidence" to the Select committee, are organisations that run Part P schemes which provide an income stream to the said bodies.. Who is going to vote or speak against something that provides you with an income stream? Conflict of interest? yes absolutely. I hope that it was declared. And more importantly I do hope that there were some disinterested parties who gave evidence.

It is interesting to note that both the NICEIC and ECA ( Both quoted as having given "evidence" to the Select committee, are organisations that run Part P schemes which provide an income stream to the said bodies.. Who is going to vote or speak against something that provides you with an income stream? Conflict of interest? yes absolutely. I hope that it was declared. And more importantly I do hope that there were some disinterested parties who gave evidence.

Totally Agree, I think i have stated in another related thread, that i would love to read this so called evidence they provided to this committee. I'm sure i could pull this evidence apart page by page, paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence!! What's the betting that this evidence was probably all based on duff statistics, which is nothing more than creative accounting. Eg, ...you can make any set of figures say exactly what you want them to say!!!

If the truth be know, this cross party committee was disinterested too, to the point where the conclusion and so-called recommendations were issued before the allotted time of the inquiry had passed!!! What sort of message does that convey to the industry??

"NICEIC and ECA have welcomed the Communities and Local Government Select Committee report into Building Regulations". I'm sure they have.

Let's face it, the LABC's also have a vested interest in keeping the status quo, imagine the extra cash that's come there way since it's inception!! lol!!

Reply to NIC April News Letter - Part P Review in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net