Discuss NIC help - Upgrading domestic installer to approved contractor?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning everyone. I wanted to see what peoples take was on this, especially those who are (or have been) NIC members of either scheme. I'm looking into whether to register as a domestic installer, then upgrade to an approved contractor later this year or apply directly to be an approved contractor.

I'm not sure if there are any financial benefits either way but am also thinking that registering as a domestic installer first would get me used to the way the NIC worked and what to expect from their inspections, get to know the local guy etc. Maybe they make the process of becoming an approved contractor easier for those who already have their "foot in the door" so to speak. I've been trying to find details of whether or not the 2391 Inspection and Testing is a requirement for approved contractor membership (as it isn't for domestic installer)

Positive points for my application form will be: several years experience working in commercial environments as an installer, EAL domestic installer qualification and 17th edition. If I have to take an additional inspection and testing qualification to become an approved contractor then that will have to be done later in the year but I'm hoping as long as your inspection and testing on the job is ok (as mine is) that this won't be necessary.

Any comments would be appreciated, it's an expensive game so I want to make sure I'm going down the right path. Cheers :)

Depends on what you want to do the domestic installer is part P for domestic as we know if you intend to work in shops and the like the only restriction that I am aware of is you cannot issue an NICEIC certificate. Nothing stopping you issuing your own certificate as a competent person.

Again with the 2391 you can issue an NICEIC PIR on a domestic property after assessment but nothing stopping you issuing a PIR of your own. Just make sure your customer is not asking for an NICEIC cert.

Hope that helps

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is the other option. Issue NIC certs for domestic installation work and issue standard forms for commercial work. Due to increasing expectations from county council premises though if possible it might be easier for me to be an approved contractor. Or of course when asked if I'm registered with the NIC I could honestly answer "yes", then just hand over a standard cert on completion. I suppose I would still have the backup of getting the NIC on the phone for advice in any case as they wouldn't know if I was stood in a house or a shop now would they.

It will come down to how much hassle and money it will cost at the end of the day - if the only real benefit to me is being able to specifically say I'm an approved contractor and being able to hand over a different coloured form then it's probably not worth it. Having not been with them before though I'm really keen to see what the more knowlegable think of the various options.

Last edited:

Reply to NIC help - Upgrading domestic installer to approved contractor?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net