Discuss Nice looking / pretty smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just doing up a property with high spec finish, has been re-plastered everywhere and nice spots etc - can anyone recommend smokes / heat detectors that don't look like they were £5 from B&Q? Ideally something small or not noticeable at all? If you've put 12 spotlights in a kitchen I can't imagine many people slap a big white plastic heat detector in the middle of it all?

It looks like that smoke detector is only a concept at this moment in time, The fire angel stuff isnt as ugly as most battery powered and this one is very reminiscent of a Battlestar Galactica Cylon available in silver or white and as ionising or optical models http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacob-Jensen-optical-smoke-alarm/dp/B0009KS5QM
smoke_alarm_m.jpg

Last edited:
Haha yes that's a bit more Star Trek than subtle! Thanks both of you, a bit of internet searching has found a Bosch one that's very slim and unintrusive but I thought this might be something people had come across before. It seems to be a bit of an untapped market, people spend hundreds on fancy lights then just slap any old smoke detector next to it. Maybe I should design some :)

Haha yes that's a bit more Star Trek than subtle! Thanks both of you, a bit of internet searching has found a Bosch one that's very slim and unintrusive but I thought this might be something people had come across before. It seems to be a bit of an untapped market, people spend hundreds on fancy lights then just slap any old smoke detector next to it. Maybe I should design some :)

Well, yes.

There's a couple of considerations though - the smoke detection chamber (i.e. the bit the smoke has to enter to be detected, needs to be of a certain volume, and designed such that airflow/smoke easily enters the chamber.

Second, nobody, really, should be slapping them up right next to a light fitting - it will bias the detector, and may either limit ariflow, or prevent it working. There is a regulation covering this, so the detector must be a minimum of twice the depth of the light fitting away from it.

Other than that - good luck with the design project if you do it!

Cornburn, would you be so kind as to put up a link of that Bosch one so we could have a look please?

Have you found a place that has the Bosch detectors as I found a post about them on AVforums.com
As for the Bosch thing - I contacted them via their website, got passed around a bit, then promised a call back. To be fair to them, they just called me and it now seems that Bosch no longer make smoke detectors at all. Shame, because it was a nice looking thing.

Have had this complaint from many customers (normally women) saying can you not fit a nice looking detector.

It's a design issue as much as anything - as I think I said earlier in the thread. The Aico/EI units aren't too bad looking, and are reasonably slimline on the standard base.

But designer light fittings they're not.

It looks like that smoke detector is only a concept at this moment in time, The fire angel stuff isnt as ugly as most battery powered and this one is very reminiscent of a Battlestar Galactica Cylon available in silver or white and as ionising or optical models Jacob Jensen optical smoke alarm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
smoke_alarm_m.jpg
those sure are some nice toys you got there..............these look the business, have seen laserfocus units installed with pinhole hidden inlets complete with fancy mouldings before, never seen these, it was a case of just shopping around and seeing some low profile white ones and buying as many as you could in one go, as when you went back into the shop there would almost always be different ones every time, its a case most of the time that a smoke detector is a smoke detector and that's it take it or leave it....

Are you looking at a stand alone unit, or one that links into your intruder alarm. For a nice clean unit, look at Apollo's Series 65 smoke detector, and a 12 volt relay base to link to the alarm system.

Those AICO ones are huge compared to these..

Reply to Nice looking / pretty smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net