NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Assesment expectations

Discuss NICEIC Assesment expectations in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

muarrif

Hi All,

Firstly I am new to this forum and apologies if I am posting in the wrong area.

I have recently attended the Part-P domestic installers course that covered the following:

• City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
• City & Guilds 2393 – Building Regulations - Part P
• City & Guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing
• City & Guilds 2382-15 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations

I have some previous knowledge (BEng degree in Electrical & Electronics engineering). Although I am not looking to become a full time electrician but want to be able to do or jobs and ensure I follow the right path and comply to regulations.

For this reason I was looking to register with NICEIC so that any work I do undertake, I am able to issue the appropriate certificate.

My questions n is, what is required/expected from NICEIC when registering and when they come out to asses/inspect the work?

i.e single circuit (new) / complete change of CU, and/or minor work

Any help guidance would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

When /if you apply to the NICEIC they will tell you exactly what they will expect from you!

PS Is there a reason that you are thinking of NICEIC, rather that one of the other options?

The C&G course you listed is a 5 day course, with the 2392, 17th and Part P, youve probably done around 10 days of tuition?

I wouldnt go straight into NICEIC, you should work under a experienced spark for the near future
I would ask for the money back as you will have paid well over the odds for the courses which could be done at a local college for a lot less.

youve ticked the certificates box and if you apply they will get you to do there tick the right answer test on your computer at home so you can look up the answers.
For assessment you need the relevant books, a mft with calibration cert and other documents they give you on the website. plus insurance.
as for the job, they will accept for the first assessment, a job in your own or families house, such as a CU change, new circuits etc... it basically needs to be able to let them see you can test and interpret properly.
Its quite an outlay for occasional work, if working for others and charging you need some experience behind you.
You only need to join a scheme if you will do notifiable jobs, as long as you arent daft why not start out do odd little jobs and issue generic certificates, then when ready apply to a scheme.

The C&G course you listed is a 5 day course, with the 2392, 17th and Part P, youve probably done around 10 days of tuition?

I wouldnt go straight into NICEIC, you should work under a experienced spark for the near future

Thanks Madcocks,
A good advise regarding working under an experienced spark but unfortunately I have a full time job that won’t allow such participation. However I am confident that I have sufficient practical experience and hence the reason for actually enrolled my on the above courses for 4 weeks just to get the certificates to “tick boxes” and prove competency. As I mentioned I do have a degree in electrical engineering so understand the concepts and very hands on practically.

Of course I wouldn’t compare my skills to a professional electrician who does this day in day out.

Your reply above is scary, you actually think a certificate is proof of competency? What about experience that will always put weigh any certificate, I sincerely hope you don’t hurt anybody with any of the jobs you do in the future now you seem yourself competant!

You l see your full time job as a hinderance to getting experience which is worrying, do you think that is a satisfactory reason?

It’s scary isn’t it.
Bluudy frightening, I need to find a dark room with soft walls, I do wonder sometime what this industry is coming to. The scame need to give themselves a good spanking. Absolutely shameful. Emma Clancy please read and inwardly digest.

Last edited:
Muarrif, please don't take my reply as a slight on what you have achieved in life, but I feel I need to say, how anyone can complete a non meaningful "course" and consider themselves capable of going into peoples houses and charge their hard earned money, in some cases their pensions, and complete electrical work to a satisfactory condition,
is, in truth beyond my comprehension, it's a sad reflection on the cash orientated CPS scams that they would even consider such a thing, this is not a personal dig at you Mate honestly, so please don't take it as such, you must have spent good money on the course you attended, so hats off to you, but really, do you consider yourself competent. I guess the personal answer will be yes because of what you have been told, sorry Mate nothing personal.

Last edited:
Thing is we have no idea of the OP's ability to install electrical stuff. He has the qualifications? But he's not done the 'preferred' electrical apprenticeship. But he might just be able to install stuff to a competent standard.

I do grow tired of the same ole replies coming out, with these types of threads.

There were some nefarious electricians, whom I qualified with 40 years years ago; I wouldn't want them to cross my electrical threshold, even now :eek:

What are your intentions with your work OP?

Thanks Madcocks,
A good advise regarding working under an experienced spark but unfortunately I have a full time job that won’t allow such participation. However I am confident that I have sufficient practical experience and hence the reason for actually enrolled my on the above courses for 4 weeks just to get the certificates to “tick boxes” and prove competency. As I mentioned I do have a degree in electrical engineering so understand the concepts and very hands on practically.

Of course I wouldn’t compare my skills to a professional electrician who does this day in day out.

Are you for real? I posted an honest and sensible response and you call me a cock ?

You cannot use the excuse you have a full time job so dont have time to gain relevant experience. Its something you should of considered before the career change.

Your degree isnt worth jack at the moment, youve spent a few weeks nailing T&E to a MDF wall in a pretty pattern. They have covered the basics to get you started in an electrical career, a lighting circuit, a ring and youve done "fundementals of testing". No way are you ready to join a scheme which allows you to rewire someones house......

T
youve ticked the certificates box and if you apply they will get you to do there tick the right answer test on your computer at home so you can look up the answers.
For assessment you need the relevant books, a mft with calibration cert and other documents they give you on the website. plus insurance.
as for the job, they will accept for the first assessment, a job in your own or families house, such as a CU change, new circuits etc... it basically needs to be able to let them see you can test and interpret properly.
Its quite an outlay for occasional work, if working for others and charging you need some experience behind you.
You only need to join a scheme if you will do notifiable jobs, as long as you arent daft why not start out do odd little jobs and issue generic certificates, then when ready apply to a scheme.

Thank you Gavin your response is very helpful. Some have left irrelevant and discouraging replies that do not help at all and are completely off topic.

Thing is we have no idea of the OP's ability to install electrical stuff. He has the qualifications? But he's not done the 'preferred' electrical apprenticeship. But he might just be able to install stuff to a competent standard.

I do grow tired of the same ole replies coming out, with these types of threads.

You right we don’t know comptance of the OP, we can only make a judgement on the info provided by them, here it is a pointless Electrical Trainee course, more questions have been asked and all they have said is they have a degree of some sort. Hardly inspiring of someone who knows how to safely carry out electrics installations.

T

Thank you Gavin your response is very helpful. Some have left irrelevant and discouraging replies that do not help at all and are completely off topic.

So you claim not to want to work as a spark, but you are happy to waste £500 on scheme membership you don't need

This is all very smelly

Reply to NICEIC Assesment expectations in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock