Discuss NICEIC Assesment options? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi

Just wondering from other peoples experiences with assessments what is the easiest and cheapest options for the undertaking of assessments.

Ie what Major work and what minor work pieces did you guys decide upon doing for your assessments as presuming that many would have gone for the simplest and cheapest types?

Chris

Are you going for full approval or just part P?

Hi,

I am applying for the Doomestic Installer Scheme so guessing thats the part P.

Was informed that I have to have one minor and one major piece of work - which I can do on own property and a friends etc due to be not having any past works as I am just starting up.

Just want the opinion as to the cheapest options for each piece of work as we all know its costing a small fortune joining them so dont want much more outlay and also want to pass the inspection without fuss as costs them a fortune to caome back and do another assessment.

Chris

Hi Chrisgc
Think most prob done same as me and changed their own or family members or mates etc CU then added an extra socket or light for minor ! Mine was my own CU as anything that needs doing you dont have a difficault customer thats why the first assessment is easy you get to pick the 2 jobs ! the other was a socket spur in upstairs hall for me mothers hoover ! as long as you can test/install/inspect etc etc your sail it ! believe me its a lot easier than anyone i know ever thought it would be ! just make sure you have nice buscuits and tea/coffee and your have a mate from the off ! and MAKE SURE BONDING IS UPTO DATE !
Regards
Kung.

So if you decide to only change the CU - you effectively only have to replace with a CU and just place exising circuits back in ie. you dont have to start re-wiring circuits if they are the old coloured wiring??

ALSO re - bonding what did you refer to when you meant its up to date?

Chris

All in bs7671 & onsite m8 regarding wiring you only need to change CU and note on cert under ext of work covered by this cert CU change only ! all circuits are conected up to new cu apart from code 1's etc and main bonding etc 16mm main 10mm sup to gas/water etc etc if unsure adiabatic equation mate ! again all info is in onsite and bs7671.
Regards
Kung.
P.s. also LABLES eg if mixed wiring colours etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
My house has a TT supply, no earth rod (as far as I can tell, at least, I can't find it nor any cable leading to one), and the consumer unit is sited at low level inside the integrated high level oven unit. It does have each circuit protected by an RCD but you have to remove the bottom 2 drawers before you can get to right the wrong! I did carry out some loop impedance tests on the socket outlets and gave up worrying about it .... values were mighty high and best forgotten.

Slight digression, new 11 month old puppy went behind TV and bit into cable. RCD actually worked .... we now call dog "Zebedee" as he jumps about all over the place ... he very lucky to be alive :D

Anyway, I had to make a choice. Work on my own house, take out the kitchen, then do a rewire or find somewhere else. The problem with working on a customer's property is that you are supposed to be insured to do the work and you won't be 'insurable' till you've passed the test so you are officially supposed to go to Building Control and PAY them to act on your behalf and to protect the customers interests. To compound problems further, the customer I had in mind did not want BC involved for personal reasons, so it was decision time ..... Though I don't recommend it, the customer agreed to waiver any external involvement by BC and I went ahead and used this job for my assessment .... and as there were 2 parts, minor works being addition of sockets and notifiable work being a new consumer unit in separate dwelling, the whole thing went ok.

One thing I think you have to appreciate is that any work you do before becoming 'competent' makes your insurance null and void. So, even if you do decide to carry out work at a friends or in your own home, you must make sure that nothing untoward will happen! We live in a World that looks for excuses, don't give them any ....

The economic climate being what it is, I don't know how many electrical jobs I will carry out as I am a suitable competent builder, but I can always plan to do my own home next year if nothing else turns up - at least I'm covered :)

Reply to NICEIC Assesment options? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net