Discuss NICEIC or ECA? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LCSE

Hi all,

I'm new to E.F.

I'm a small electrical contractor who is currently 'Part P' registered with ELECSA and although most of our work is in the domestic market we have picked up a few commercial clients. We have now found the need to become Approved Contractors/Installers (through client request) as well as Domestic Installers.

Our clients have not specified whether we should be either NICEIC or ECA but have stated we should be one or the other in order for us to continue working for them.

My question(s) is/are obvious...... Which would be the better association to join ECA or NICEIC? and why? I have read a lot of peoples opinions on the subject but they and not very direct/clear and tend to go off the track a little with sub-topics.

Any help, comments, views and opinions are welcome on the matter.

Thanks,

LCSE

you wil still get contradicting views I'm afraid, the NICEIC IMO are more respected throughout public services, however it doesn't mean they are better than anyone else, but seem to get local authority approval more than the ECA, well here anyhow in Glos.

The ECA will be an easier and smoother process, because you already have a track record with their sister company ELECSA, it also allows you to keep a degree of separation to the types of business, which might very attractive to you.
NICEIC are likely as not to want you to switch totally to their club, this may not be convenient to you because you probably have paid ELECSA for the current year and also you have to explain to all your domestic customer why you have switched allegiance. If you use the argument to your customers that they will get a better service under the new club, they automatically believe they have therefore, been getting a sub-standard service in the past under the old club, and it will be difficult to everybody onside with the new club.

I had a similar situation to yours earlier in the year. I was registered with Elecsa but needed full ECA membership for commercial jobs. I approached the ECA and all they wanted to know about was turnover and what my p&l was. The chap then said we won't need to do a technical assessment because your Elecsa one will cover it????

I got a bad vibe so moved to the NICEIC. They operate a free transfer scheme so you can move straight away if you want to and only pay your fees when they would have been due with your previous scheme.

I know everyone slates the NIC but they have a presence and now I get work from being listed on their site. Never had that with Elecsa.

Ha ha.. Very mixed bag of opinions so far?!? Still no wiser at this point. Views and opinions have been welcomed so far. Thanks

Reply to NICEIC or ECA? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net