Discuss NICEIC registration & Rewire to a shed And supply in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

danny124

Hi guys, wonder if i could get some info, regarding 1 or 2 things

1. I'm looking at doing my NICEIC testing and inspection registration, got to go through the the trouble of finding 2 differant sites that i can do before this, i.e. getting building control in to interfere with rubbish input sometimes and daylight robbery costs.

Does anyone know an organisation that doesn't do this and maybe does the assesment for one job or in house training centres for assesment.

2. As above needing 2 jobs for the NICEIC, and looking at my Grandads shed it needs a rewire.
Its a big shed which uses for carpentry joining tools etc etc.
I want to run SWA from under the stairs, out of house, along fence, into his shed into its own consumer unit.

Can i use a RCD device say 60/80amp 30ma as a main switch under the stairs to give protection as SWA is running along fence

Would the SWA pass and just running along the fence, or would it go in to some kind of conduit pipe

The Consumer unit in the shed could i have that on RCD so rather than the whole supply going and having to walk alway back in to house or would the 2 conflict with each other

And also the lights and sockets in shed could i use metalclad socket and boxes, with plasitc conduit pipe to give extra protection for the twin and earth.

Cheers for your help guys
Sorry if the story took you a long time to get thru haha

imo try to avoid the 30ma on sub-mains - you said it yourself

you have to walk all the way back,and lights and sockets in shed trip together causing a potential hazard

ok so looks like a basic main switch under the stairs and RCBO for each circuit then

depends on the installation method whether the 30ma is required-i'm not familiar with the rules

but best avoided if possible

no point either to 30ma's in series

me neither too be honest. Seeing it as part of a domestic dwelling im seeing as the RCD required for cable less that 50mm rule etc etc

Whats your supply in the house tncs tns tt?
If your running more than 25m (I think prob less) from a-b on a tncs, earth rods want to be installed on request of network supplier. tns is fine without tt you have to fit rcd's and rods. your right about rcd's alsong as the feed is greater than 20a which you intend to be. If it has to be buried warning tape sand has to installed. for small cables theres no regs on depth but a foot is a proper job.

hey b-spark thanks for your reply

Im on a TN-S system, cable run is about 22 metres.

What do you think about the protection of the SWA regarding RCD... i'm now thinking rcbo in the shed at if there is an accident with tools on the sockets ect, not going to be plunged into darkness in the winter time

hey b-spark thanks for your reply

im on a tn-s system, cable run is about 22 metres.

What do you think about the protection of the swa regarding rcd... I'm now thinking rcbo in the shed at if there is an accident with tools on the sockets ect, not going to be plunged into darkness in the winter time
your right with that bud
even clip direct on surface for lights as its a shed. If only a couple of sockets get some rcd outlets as rcbos are £30 a pop and a bigger board for room sometimes.

as the swa is mech protected and clipped.
feed swa direct to db at shed end with rcd main switch or rcbos,
exporting earths is not an issue and never has been (although some dno will state otherwise, but what do they know)

as the swa is mech protected and clipped.
feed swa direct to db at shed end with rcd main switch or rcbos,
exporting earths is not an issue and never has been (although some dno will state otherwise, but what do they know)

It really does mate
soley on tncs because you lower the earth size when in use thats why you have to put 10mm in for gas/water to lower resistance rather than 6mm to tnc which bs7671 contradicts first says 6mm is ok for tnc then goes further to require 10mm.
if you are ever involed in in a tncs installation you will notice they willl bang earth rods right upto the joint to lower the the resistance. If you phone them to ask they will tell you why.
They own the supply at the end of the day I think even NICEIC bring it up in there mags.

It really does mate
soley on tncs because you lower the earth size when in use thats why you have to put 10mm in for gas/water to lower resistance rather than 6mm to tnc which bs7671 contradicts first says 6mm is ok for tnc then goes further to require 10mm.
if you are ever involed in in a tncs installation you will notice they willl bang earth rods right upto the joint to lower the the resistance. If you phone them to ask they will tell you why.
They own the supply at the end of the day I think even NICEIC bring it up in there mags.

This would only apply if there were any services in the outbuilding which required main bonding....if a TNCS earth was used those services would have to be main bonded right back to the MET which would means a rod would be more practical.
As long as there are no services in the outbuilding requiring bonding TNCS can be used and the earth conductor sized in the normal way in relation to the line and neutral conductors.

sorry to jump in guys so on a TN-C-S supply
on a SWA to a shed
at the db you wouldnt provide a 30 mA RCD to protect the SWA as its mechanically protected is it ok as he suggested to fix the SWA to fence does it need protecting with conduit or should it be buried in sand at a depth of 450mm ?? in Ducting and marked with tape

but deffo would provide one at the shed ccu for socket outlets
and would you not have to provide a Earth Electrode does it depend on the distance of the run

is it ok to use 3 core armoured and use the 3rd core as the CPC
and do you still have to banjo the armouring of the swa at the Main DB/ccu

sorry to jump in but i to am doing this at my brothers and using for my ELECSA assessment as well as changing the existing ccu and existing fuseboard in the house for 1 17th edition compliant ccu just so i know wether to get dual rcd split board or 3 way spit board with 2 rcds and couple of unprotected circuits sorry for all questions but just want to get it right

sorry to jump in guys so on a TN-C-S supply
on a SWA to a shed
at the db you wouldnt provide a 30 mA RCD to protect the SWA as its mechanically protected is it ok as he suggested to fix the SWA to fence does it need protecting with conduit or should it be buried in sand at a depth of 450mm ?? in Ducting and marked with tape

No need for RCD at supply end providing Zs of sub main is adequate.
SWA does not require protecting in conduit.

but deffo would provide one at the shed ccu for socket outlets
and would you not have to provide a Earth Electrode does it depend on the distance of the run

Yes RCD required at shed cu. No need for electrode unless main bonding is required to extraneous conductive parts.

is it ok to use 3 core armoured and use the 3rd core as the CPC
and do you still have to banjo the armouring of the swa at the Main DB/ccu

Yes & yes

sorry to jump in but i to am doing this at my brothers and using for my ELECSA assessment as well as changing the existing ccu and existing fuseboard in the house for 1 17th edition compliant ccu just so i know wether to get dual rcd split board or 3 way spit board with 2 rcds and couple of unprotected circuits sorry for all questions but just want to get it right

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
I would not clip the swa to the fence, as a fence is classified as a temporary structure which can be moved.

Best to put in the ground, with tape on top. I had some of those heavy duty troughs you put in the driveways to collect the water.
I turned them upside down and put on top of the swa with the yellow warning tape.
Best regards,
Sav

Hope that helps.
Once again thanks very much Sintra always good information and advice and straight to the point as usual its good to be able to get advice from someone as knowledgable as your good self thankyou

a few questions more for same job if thats ok

my brother also wants garden lighting he is sick of the solar ones

if he chooses Low Voltage then should i run armoured round the garden and then use waterproof Junction boxes to come off for individual lights he may choose wall mounted and some installed in the borders can you recommend best method what type of cable is acceptable from the JBs to the lights and does this need mechanical protection wher it comes from underground to the lights
like the gu10 mains voltage type

if he chooses extra low voltage low voltage like the pre wired CE sets do these also need mechanical protection do they have to be run underground or is it ok on surface???

only wiring i ever done in the garden was for new build showhomes with floods in the borders shining on the showhomes on timers using armoureds with flex to floods and the through boxes filled with the brown waterproof compound????

r is it acceptable to fix SWA along the fence line as he said he may want some lighting on the concrete posts is this also acceptable

sorry for all questions mate just want it all to be right for elecsa registration and assesment
on that note do i still need to notify labc as well as elecsa before carrying out this work because i will be using this work for first assesment ???????

Last edited:
Sorry mate but it's a bit late for all answers now. Hopefully some of the other members can advice you tomorrow.

Reply to NICEIC registration & Rewire to a shed And supply in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock