Discuss NICEIC Upgrade in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I accept what you are saying, but a large portion of my work is domestic and currently notifying two jobs a week on verge, notifiable stuff, so not being in a scam wouldn't relly work, but if you are just doing industrial or commercial you have more scope to say you don't want to be in one.

I suppose then in your eyes I'm not qualified because I don't have a plastic card saying JIB on it, I do actually qualify for one so perhaps should get one to satisfy your criteria for being qualified.

I accept what you are saying, but a large portion of my work is domestic and currently notifying two jobs a week on verge, notifiable stuff, so not being in a scam wouldn't relly work, but if you are just doing industrial or commercial you have more scope to say you don't want to be in one.

I suppose then in your eyes I'm not qualified because I don't have a plastic card saying JIB on it, I do actually qualify for one so perhaps should get one to satisfy your criteria for being qualified.

I never said you need a JIB card to be qualified, I said that they are the only people that can baadge someone as an approved electrician and it actually mean something.

I'm with a Niceic as a domestic installer, just because some clients think that the Niceic is the be all and end all. Refuse to pay an extra £200 to be an approved contractor. I'm JIB approved so know I can carry out all work with my knowledge and experience. Got the Niceic sticker on the van, because the general public don't know the difference. They just like to see it. The electrical industry and how the Niceic portray to the public is a total farce!!

My first. 2 years as a self employed spark I didn't register with any scam and did lots of notifiable jobs without notifying them. I explained it to the clients before starting any work and they'd never heard of part p and didn't want anything to do with it!
I'm still waiting for the part P police to come knocking on my door!

I registered with ELECSA last October as I had a few jobs on the horizon which LABC were involved with so I thought it would be easier to get registered to notify them.
I have seen no benefit from being registered with them, no extra work has come through their register of contractors or whatever it is, only a few nuisance sales calls!
I still don't notify most jobs I do, only the ones where LABC are involved.

And still the part P police haven't come knocking on my door!

its not exactly great though when you are doing work for someone where LABC are involved and you say sorry but i can do it but it will cost £200. Its wrong not to notify work that's notifiable, its also unethical to pass the buck on to the customer and say its their responsibility.

its not exactly great though when you are doing work for someone where LABC are involved and you say sorry but i can do it but it will cost £200. Its wrong not to notify work that's notifiable, its also unethical to pass the buck on to the customer and say its their responsibility.

But it is their responsibility, being a member of a scam is just one way of making it more convenient for the customer. Any domestic work I'm involved with where LABC are involved as well doesn't cost me a cent. They are automatically notified of the work prior to starting as part of the plans submitted and as long as the job is being carried out by a competent person and certified to that end, the electrical work will be covered in the scope of the building regulations compliance notice that is handed to the customer upon completion of the work.

People want to dress up unregistered electricians in many different ways. They like to tell us that we are cowboys, that we are buck passing, that we cost more as direct notification costs hundreds of pounds, that we're not professional etc etc...

The fact is, it's all sull bhit. I work to the same regs as you fella, that is all. I just don't let corporate theft by a bunch of weaseling little scumbags get in the way of my work.

Never in the history of the human race has being an affiliate of a private members club bestowed any more legitimacy or validity upon an individual.

I completely accept and agree with what you are saying. In my experience I find people say can you notify the job etc, maybe I have just has some ---- clients. Anyway.. for me being part of the scam works fine and am happy to pay, maybe if you have been doing this for donkeys years and have a good client base you can justify not paying, but for someone who's relatively new to it, I feel it works ok.

Don't just be blindly led by clients, use your own brain! Read the rules, talk to your LABC and sort it out.

It's no more unethical for me not to notify work than it is for a bunch of money grabbers to masquerade as a charity and take honest peoples money and do nothing for it!

It's no more unethical for me not to notify work than it is for a bunch of money grabbers to masquerade as a charity and take honest peoples money and do nothing for it!

Unethical, maybe, maybe not. Illegal Yes? -- unless you have an alternative means of notifying 'notifiable work' without having hoodwinked the client into being responsible for it!? (I guess that would be unethical!)

In what way has a client been hoodwinked into being responsible?
Notification for all building regulations is the responsibility of the person ordering the work. Does a builder apply for planning permission before even quoting for a job???

As I said, after three years of not notifying I have yet to meet the part P police.
I have put right the dangerous work of fully registered part P idiots though on many occasions!

Maybe one day they will arrest me for carrying out safe electrical work complete with certificates, I'll be site to let you know when they do ;)

Unethical, maybe, maybe not. Illegal Yes? -- unless you have an alternative means of notifying 'notifiable work' without having hoodwinked the client into being responsible for it!? (I guess that would be unethical!)

Get that bee out of your bonnet about this whole 'illegality' thing will you!

I'm going to guess that you're older than I, if so, how many people do you know that actually paid their poll tax???

I don't know any! My father was a police officer at the time and even he refused to pay!

Illegal or not illegal who cares, that isn't the point here.

The only way we get things done in this world is by sticking our middle finger up to those who wish to hamper us! As long as your actions don't directly or indirectly harm another, screw the law!

If nobody ever prosecutes the installers who carry out downright dangerous work and expose their clients to a risk of electric shock then who on earth is going to prosecute me for carrying out work to the best of my ability and in compliance with the regulations?

The only way we get things done in this world is by sticking our middle finger up to those who wish to hamper us!

Couldn't agree with you more but once we start on the slippery slope of deciding which laws we choose to follow and which we don't then where do we end up? Anarchy?

I'm a great believer in change the process/law or follow it ....... if enough people stuck their middle finger up and did that then the problem would be resolved (possibly!!)

p.s. I paid the poll tax and now pay the council tax even though I resent it as I see no improved service year upon year but I keep paying more!

Reply to NICEIC Upgrade in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net